Hepatitus Shot

Search

Hepatitus Shot

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hepatitus Shot

I'm traveling to Bangkok and Pattaya...is a hepatitus shot something I need to do? I've heard conflicting opinions...
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:22 AM

yes, better to be protected both at home and while travelling---hep A....we have had hep B too and ..
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Just made an appointment. Better safe than sorry! Thanks!
Brianne
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM

There really is no clear answer on this, but it's better to be safe!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Hep A is spread through contanimated food and water. It is not just a problem in developing countries; you can pick it up in the US or Western Europe. I think it's a wise vaccine to have even if you are staying at home.

The cdc website is the best source for travel med info: www.cdc.gov/travel
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:49 PM

My boyfriend and I just travelled to Thailand and Cambodia. Both of us had an injection for Hep. A and B prior to our trip. Both injections are recommended and it is better to be safe anyway.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:06 PM

Just so you know, Hep A shots are two shots 6 months apart. The first shot alone does protect you pretty well, though. I don't remember all the details. I just remember our doctor telling FH this when he got his shot a few years ago.

(I didn't have to get one b/c I had Hep A when I was a baby).
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
sandi

But the Hep A inoculation is good for only 10-years. As is Tetanus; other inoculations have lesser time limits.

Most of us had all kinds of inoculations as children which have passed their useful life.

As adults, we should be current on inoculations if only staying at home, travel in ones own country or elsewhere.

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM

Sandi-
I think SLJBK actually <b>had</b> Hepatitus as a child which would make them immune I believe.

I had the Hep A shot in 1998 and recently looked at the CDC webite to see if I needed an update. I remembered the &quot;10 year&quot; thing as well. I couldn't find anything so I did a little more online research and from what I can tell, they are currently not recommending an update as of yet, even after 10 years (though I don't think this specific vaccine has been out much more than 10 years).

I agree that even if you live in the US, you should get this vaccine. There was just a Hep A outbreak in a very fancy restaurant here in LA, so you can get it anywhere!
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:20 PM

When the Hep A vaccine first came out it was said to be good for 10 years (as that was all the data they had). At this point, it appears to be good for much longer, and may, in fact, confer life-long immunity. One can actually be tested to see whether one still has anti-bodies against Hep A. Watch the cdc website, as it gets updated regularly.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 07:01 PM

Kathie-
Thanks! That's what I thought too, given what I'd read. I love the thought that I could be immune forever (or at least a long time!).
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 12:45 PM
sandi

Kathie -

Great to know that newer HepA inoculations may confer longer life. I know I had a HepA inoculation when one of my coworkers came down with HepA; boss was kind enough to pay for everyone to be inoculated.

Remembering this event some years later, my physician did test for anitbodies (none remaining) so had a new inoc which in 3-years will be coming up on 10-years. Will retest then for antibodies and go from there.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Old Dec 25th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Sandi, did you have the Hep A vaccine or gamma globulin? Gamma globulin is often given post-exposure in a medical setting, and used to be used pre-travel, but it only conferred immunity for 3-90 days. The new immunization is specific to Hep A.

Hopefully when you re-rest for antibodies you'll still have immunity for more years.