Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Bangkok? (Not Silom)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have accumulated Holiday Inn Priority Club points that I want to use in Bangkok. There is a "new" Holiday Inn next to the Intercontinental on Ploenchit Road that I am considering, as well as considering the Intercontinental. Before anyone suggests staying on the river, we have been to Bangkok many times before and have had enjoyable stays on the river. This time we are only stopping in Bangkok for a few days for shopping before going on to Ko Samui and elsewhere. I know the Intercontinental is a very nice hotel, but the Holiday Inn takes fewer points. If anyone has stayed at this Holiday Inn, please let me know what you thought about it. I would especially like to hear from anyone who has stayed at both the Intercontinental and H.I. that can give a comparison.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Sorry to say I haven't stayed there but was looking at it in August. Its a fabulous position. Used to be Le Meridian President so you may get some information from that. It has had a full renovation just the begining of the year so should still be fresh and nice however would be a couple of stars less that the Intercontinental - more around 3 or 31/2 stars I'd say.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:44 PM

we made a visit to it in june...we had a tour....the rooms are very nice, but a tad small but very servicable....they are very attractive and client friendly...we think you could describe the rooms as modern minimalistic, being neither totally not one nor the other....the baths are nice but not large....the pool is small and not in a good location for any privacy---near the function rooms as i remember....
the location is fantastic as you know....a good use of points i should think...

i assume you know this is not a new hotel, just a complete redo of the old meredien (i think)....everything is new...not just a gloss over...i think that on the bkk scale it should be considered a 4*....equal in many ways to the marriot, sans river....much better than the silom HI....
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Bob - I do know that this hotel is not new, which is why I put quotation marks around new in my second sentence. If you are good at estimating size and can do it in square meters, how large would you say the room is? On the website, the regular rooms at the Intercontinental are described as 45 sq meters, but the website conveniently omits the size in the description of the H.I. rooms.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:26 PM

i am not good at estimates and cannot do anything other than feet....i might say that the room was 10 or 12 by 20....it was long and narrow....there were many built-ins which always makes rooms feel smaller, imo....it was and intermediate sized room...certainly smaller than what intercontinental would have....maybe 34-36 in comparison to the 45 you mention...we think the ceiling might have been a tad lower than other hotels in bkk....

we looked at two rooms.....they were both very nice and we thought we might consider a stay there if the price was right at the time..
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. I have looked at the room pictures of both hotels on the website and think I like the more modern look of the HI even though the rooms are obviously smaller. Still wanting to hear from someone who has actually stayed there.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Have you read the reviews on trip advisor or asiahotels? That might help.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Gloria - There 11 reviews on tripadvisor, mostly favorable, and only the HI Silom was on asiahotels. I have relied on tripadvisor reviews before, only to be disappointed with the hotel that many people posting there had liked. I have much more trust in the opinions of the people on this forum.