Search

111op's Hong Kong pre-trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
111op's Hong Kong pre-trip

111op -

I am not very picky about food, and don't like to spend too much on it, so I really don't have many recommendations. But I think you arrive in the morning on CX's JFK-HKG non-stop. After dropping stuff at the Marco Polo, you should have time to take the Star Ferry to HK Island, and then take the Peak Tram up. I like the atmosphere of Cafe Deco - which is not cheap, but have an pretty interesting pan-Asian menu.

If you want to skip the Peak, and want dim sum lunch instead, I think a solid choice will be one of the Jade Gardens. There's one at the Star House, right next door to the Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel. No need to go far.

Stanley is on the south side of Hong Kong Island. You can take bus #6, 6A, 6X or 260 from Central. The terminus is underneath Exchange Square, just to the west of the Star Ferry and Central Post Office. Because of the WTO meeting, there might be detours or cancellation of one or more of those buses. The bus will also pass by Repulse Bay, a beach surrounded by really high-end highrises. Stanley has a market that sells sourvenirs, clothings, etc - popular with tourists. And there's a rebuilt Murray House. It's a colonial-style building that was in Central, but was moved stone-by-stone to Stanley (after being "stored" for about 20 years). Now it's a nice restaurant complex with a nice promenade in front. Good view of the Stanley Bay. Nice place to wander for an afternoon. King Ludwig, one of the restaurants, has a nice German beer selection.

Lantau is the island west of Hong Kong Island, where the new airport is attached to. Disneyland HK is also on Lantau. But the main attractions are Po Lin Monastery with the largest outdoor sitting Buddha in the world - built on top of a hill; and the fishing village of Tai O. But it's like a 3/4-day trip. You don't have the time.

Now, back to transportation. If you are going to the Peak and Repulse Bay and Stanley, and will go around a few other places in the city, then you may want to get each of you an Octopus Card afterall. $30 for Peak Tram, ~$18 for buses to/from Stanley (more if you stop at Repulse Bay - I recommend it!) $9-10 each for a cross-harbor MTR ride, a few $ for Star Ferry; add some purchase for drinks at convenient stores or supermarkets, and you'll have spent most of your $100.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Thanks for doing my HW for me, rkkwan.

Now, the flight is CI (so not non-stop).

I'm actually stopping in Anchorage and then switching in Taipei (my mom joins me there).

I'll read in more detail later and I'll probably have more questions.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Oh, not CX. I was about to check if the AE still has the half-price offer for people holding a CX boarding pass. Guess that won't be necessary then.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Not so fast, rkkwan!
What's this about 1/2 price AE with a Cathay Pacific boarding pass?
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

marcy_ :

Aren't you lucky? Cheers.

http://www.cathay-usa.com/offers/yumsing/transport.asp
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

BTW, for those who aren't flying CX, you can always look for used boarding pass on the floor at HKG. Or check the trash cans!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks!
Every little bit helps!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM

That's a good one -- "check trash cans."
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Of course now I'm wondering if I should prepay for my AE....

I've such a hard time making decisions.

Anyway, I need to go home and do other more important things, like doing laundry.