Small Bangkok's Inn or Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Bangkok in the beginning of Nov. Looking for hotels or inns that are small and walking distance to vendors and small shops. I got 3 from this fourm so far and would like your input on them. We're 70 and 80 years old so we want to do the least amount of walking as possible. There is way too much walking to and from your room with those huge Vegas like hotel.

Thai Villas - Ibrik Resort -
Old Bangkok Inn

I read a lot of good reviews about Old Bangkok Inn but nothing of the other two. I want to make my reservations as soon as I get feed back. Would like 5 star with 4 star price. We don't need all those ammities that 5 star hotels offer. The one thing I am fussy about is the bathrooms, clean, up to date and no black mold caulk around bathtub.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:42 AM

One thing about Old Bangkok Inn is I believe all the rooms are up a narrow winding staircase so that might not be the best option for you.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM

You might like to look at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel. I have no personal experience here, but we have a couple at our club, who are around your age and they raved about this place. Link below

http://www.phranakorn-nornlen.com/
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM

take a look at majestic grande hotel...

ratt, a local driver, has recently opened a small B&B...someone will give you her address here
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Actually, there are quite a few rooms on the ground floor of Old Bangkok Inn (one with a really cute outdoor garden/courtyard as well.)

We stayed upstairs (where all the loft-style rooms are located)

If narrow stairs aren't a concern to you, I highly recommend the upstairs rooms (we stayed in the Orchid). Definitely a one-of-a-kind-experience. The owners (Nantiya and her son Joey) are just some of the most stupendous people you'll ever meet!
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Swiss lodge is nice, that's if you trust him around Patpong
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Of all mentioned the Ibrik in the city (not the one on the river) would probaly suite you best. It is very close to a skytrain station and walkable to the ferry pier (if this interest you as you may want to use taxis everwhere), there is a good restaurant close by and shops are not that far away. For pictures see this link.
http://www.chicretreats.com/FarEast/...kCity_159.aspx

There is also an Ibric by the river but the location is not that great although you do have nice views of river life.

By Thai Villas you mean the Chakrabongse Villas which are very expensive at around $200+. Supposed to be excellent.

The Old Bangkok Inn and the Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel are in the old part of the city. In my opinion in bad locations for transportation other than river ferries or taxis but this may not bother you
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Filmwill

What is the difference between the upstairs loft style rooms compared to the downstairs? If there is a big difference, especially the bathroom, my husband can managed the one story flight of stairs. Do I book directly through the hotel or would I get a better deal through an agent?
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Booking through the hotel is the best way to go--the difference in rate you'd find on a site like sawadee.com or asiarooms is negligible, at best.

I think the Rose or Lotus Suites would suit your taste (those are both, I believe, ground floor rooms.) I think the Rose was actually more spacious--so you might want to focus on that one. Take a look on their site for more information on each particular room:
www.oldbangkokinn.com/guestrooms.php

Definitely have them arrange car service for you when flying in too.

Other posters have mentioned that getting around Bangkok from the old city can be hard. Not my experience at all. But then again, I quite like exploring and don't particularly need things to be so easy. You tell the staff where you want to go on any particular day, they give you directions in Thai (for water taxi and regular taxi drivers) and show you how to navigate your way to the SkyTrain, if need be. It never took us longer to get places than when we stayed in other parts of Bangkok. Best part is, by traveling by canal boats and such, you get a wonderful, local experience of getting places that most tourists don't get.

To each their own, I suppose, but staying at OBI (on our 1st trip to Bangkok--we're coming up on our 3rd now) was a great start to our trip.
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:30 PM

We stayed at OBI in 2001, I think. I have recommended it several times on this forum but after many, many negative responses from regular posters here, I don't bother any more.

filmwill has it absolutely right.....most definitely a very special Bangkok experience...quite unique, I would say, and a fabulous location, offering great opportunities to soak up Bangkok.
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Another option is the Arun Suite at the Arun Residence. (I would only suggest the Arun Suite because of the stunning terrace it has).

We considered the Ibrik, Old Bangkok and the Thai Villas were full.

We loved the Arun Residence - here's a link to our blog with tons of photos.

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/2...kok/index.html