Bangkok Majestic is Full - Other ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly the Majestic was full. They recommended the Grand Sukhumvit by Sofitel. Has anyone stayed here? It looks nice but we could only afford their cheaperst room, Silver at $133. I am concerned about staying on Sukhumvit as well. Just heard lots of things about the area and don't want to be in the middle of mayhem trying to sleep at night.

A cheaper alternative that I was looking into was the Unico Grande Silom Hotel (former Tower Inn). We were able to get a Junior Suite there for $89. The pool/restaurant on top of the 20th floor looks pretty tempting too. Any opinions on this place?

Another option was the new LUXX. It looks fabulous and has fairly good prices. The only thing keeping me from booking this is no mention of a pool or outdoor area. Has anyone stayed there? Is there a pool/outdoor area that they somehow forgot to mention on their site?!

Ideas please

SS
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM

I've never stayed at the new Sofitel but have walked by it more times than I can count, during construction, and after completion. I will caution you that soi 6 is OFTEN tied up with lots of traffic that isn't moving. It's a 1-way alley that connects to the much traveled Sukhumvit Rd. If you plan to take many taxis, that can be a real headache. Soi 6 is a very small "alley" sort of street that runs between soi 4 and soi 8. It's part of the path I've walked so many times, to and from the skytrain station at Nana.

Have you looked at the Bangkok Holiday Inn Ploenchit? I just stayed there (and also the Majestic Grande) in February of this year. I prefer the HI over the MJ because my room was so much bigger at HI and the skytrain is right outside the door!!!

Some folks don't care for the pool at HI, but it was inviting enough looking to me.. and it was usually busy.

Carol
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM

it is set back about 1/2 block from sukhumvit and is a nice new building...i think it would be fine...you might also look at the jw marriott in the same area and the bangkok holiday inn (which carol suggests) is just up the road and rooms are very nice...also the landmark, the sheraton grande and the westin grande..
i think tower inn was not so nice a place if i remember...you get what you pay for...suite at $89?????
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM

you might look at the rembrandt...it too is indian owned and has fantastic restaurants
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM

i stayed in a standard room at the tower inn a couple of years ago. the property is old, the rooms look tired and worn. yours is a suite, under new mgt, perhaps they did major refurburshing, and upgrading.

the one positive comment i have about this hotel, is that they have speedy service, yes, very fast.

when i checked into my non-smoking room at one in the morning, the room was reeking with smoke. i even saw a couple of ash trays on the desk by the phones. disappointed, i call the front desk to tell them this was not a non-smoking room, as i could smell the smoke, and there ash trays on the table. she said just a minute, and hung up. in a matter of seconds, a room attendant came into the room, and removed the ash trays. now, how can you beat service like that.

since i was there for only a couple of days, i just stunk it out.

can't recommend this hotel. if you want to stay in the silom area, trinity hotel is much better, for about the same price. they have none smoking rooms.