Holiday Inn Bangkok over New Year's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I placed a bid on Priceline for a 4 star hotel in Bangkok...little did I know the Holiday Inn Bangkok would turn up. (Did the research, including reading through these posts too.) Anyway it's a pretty good deal for a 4-star during the holidays, would anyone be interested in staying here for $300 for 5 nights, including all taxes? I'll consider all reasonable offers and will transfer the names. Thanks much!
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:21 PM

freck...hope you read biddingfortravel before you bid on priceline....it is a must....also you should imput HI here as there has been tons of discussion in the last year...

anyways....because of this , when i was in bkk this early summer, i visited the HI for a tour and to see for myself...the rooms were quite nice...the regular and exec rooms seemed to be the same except for the mattresses...the reg room had a 4 inche foam mattress and the exec rooms had deluxe thick mattresses as you would expect a lux western hotel to have....i would do the $25 upgrade to the exec. room...gives you the better room, the full use of the lounge, which is very nice, unlimited internet in the lounge, snacks all day, and free breakfasts daily in the lounge...

the pool was on maybe the 6th floor and was small and not too interesting...there is a health club facility as well...

i would rate the hotel as 3.5*, not four and i have expressed that to priceline but they were not interested in my assessment...

the location is great at the lower end of silom road...very handy...

it is about 2 blocks from the river---15 minute walk...

skytrain is a walkable distance....easy taxi access in and out...

lobby was disturbing...large noisy cluttered...

you would not be unhappy with staying here...imo
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 07:13 PM

There is a new HI in BKK that is next to the Intercontinental. It was still under construction (remodeling) when I was there in June/July. This new HI was the Meridien President hotel. It is right alongside the sky train route at Chit Lom station. Maybe this is the 4* place on priceline??
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 07:19 PM

not sure the above mentioned is yet open...priceline has routinely been offering the HI on silom, disquised as a 4* hotel....
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for the advice RKK...I have also complained about the quality rating of the HI based on what was written here, but will try to make do with my mistake..the only way to learn right? One question...can you please clarify what you mean by executive room? Are they in the Crowne tower as opposed to the Plaza tower? Also, do the rooms look like what's on the HI Silom website (http://bangkok-silom.holiday-inn.com/)? I appreciate your help!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:29 PM

i have seen the different towers mentioned but i have only seen one tower...maybe there is another on hiding some place???
i will look at the site and report back...
executive rooms are rooms on selected floors in many hotels which have additional perks associated with them like a lounge and seperate eating area, etc...they are just more upscale...i think lots of execs like them to be away from kids during business trips...like people inhabit them...
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:35 PM

where is that hotel??? like all hotels they have enhanced the pictures considerably....as i remember it the area in the lobby by the reception desk is completely open,,,,there are no sofas there...

the rooms i saw, and i think they were in the crown tower as based on the description, all had spripe wallpaper which was grey and white...they had no thai influence...they were perfectly good rooms, but nothing like what i saw in those pictures....
when i was taken on the tour i would have thought that i would have been taken to the nicest section?? the elevator we used was almost in back of the reception desk if that is any help...