Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to go to....Singapore and Bali

I'm so excited! Here's my travel plan:

2 nights at the Raffles, Singapore
5 nights at the Legian, Seminyak
5 nights at the Chedi Club, Ubud
2 nights at the Amankila, Candidasa

I've a few questions:
How much does it cost to rent the Raffles' Daimler?
What's the best restaurant at the Raffles?(There are so many!)
What are good restaurants on Bali close to the hotels I'm staying?
How's the price level at the Amankila? I don't expect it to be cheap, but are the prices as high as at the Park Hyatt Paris where I paid $10 for one cappuchino?
What should I really see in Bali?

Old May 14th, 2005, 02:22 AM

Seminyak and ubud are both good restaurant areas in Bali. In Seminyak, Ku De Ta and Axiom get good reviews. We stayed at Hotel Tugu just north of Seminyak and had all of our meals there because the food was so good. In Ubud, we enjoyed Ary's Warung and Cafe Lotus. Lamak has gotten good reviews - many other choices in Ubud. I am sure that prices at Amankila will be high for Bali .
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:55 AM

My favorite restaurants in Bali:
Near the Legian are KuDeTa and LaLucciola. You must have a reservation! If you ask quietly the Legian doorguys will give you a lift to the restaurant. You can walk back.

In Ubud, Mozaic (reservation also needed), Alila, and the restaurant at Kayumanis (more for the view than the food which is Thai. Go for lunch.)

Old May 14th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Some Singapore recommendations: The "best" restaurant at Raffles is likely to be listed as The Grill, as it is the most formal. My fave is Doc Cheng's - a fusion pan-Asian kind of place. Get one of the curtained booths - very romantic.

My very favorite restaurant in Singapore is Les Amis Au Jardin, located in the botanical gardens. It's pricey but well worth it. You'll need reservations and a taxi driver that knows where to drop you for the restaurant. I used to enjoy a long, decadent lucnh there, but last time I was in Singapore they were only open for dinner.

I don't know their price for the hotel car, but call or email and I'm sure they'll be glad to give you that info.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:05 AM

The best restaurat in Raffles is actually across the road on the top of Swissotel called Jaan. Owned by the same Raffles Group.Its chef is from the 2 michelin star Jules Verne at the Eifel Tower paris.

But there are so many other v good restaurants. i'll list the best in each class:

french: ST Pierre at Central Mall
italian: Garibadi at Purvis St (behind Raffles)
steak: MOrtons at Oriental hotel
chinese: too many but nearest to you are Lei Garden at Chijmes and Wah Lock at Carlton (not RItz Carlton) hotel.
Seafood: Jumbo or Red House at UDMC east coast
Hawker: Old airport rd hawker ctr or Maxwell market
Japanese: Akane at Jap assoc, SHiro at Greenwood, Shunjuu at Robertson Walk and Gyu Kaku at Chijmes.
Thai: Sabai in Takashimaya
most romantic: AU Jardin at Botanic Gdns.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:43 AM

wein, You liked Jaan? I ate there in December and thought the food was competent, but nothing special, and was WAY overpriced. I also found the service cold. However, I did eat there because it had received such good reviews.

I find the service and food and atmosphere much better in the restaurants located in the hisrotic Raffles complex.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:44 PM

yes kathie I agree with u. It aint the best, since St Pierre is the best french r'rant. But Jaan is better than any at the Raffles Hotel.I guess we pay for the views.

Blu at the top of Shangri-La has nice views too but ask for a window seat. It serves californian cuisine, whatever that is.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:19 PM

I realized after posting that Jaan is located in the Swisshotel The Stamford, the other tower is the Raffles the Plaza. By the way, give me Doc Cheng's any time over Jaan. The view from Jaan is amazing, though. I perferred the old seafood buffet in that same space when it was a Westin. That was a fabulous spread. And the fois gras station was superb... ah! the good old days!

Do you think St. Pierre is better than Les Amis au Jardin?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM

Alila Ubud is nice hotel in Ubud, I have some repieter client there. Many choise restaurant in Ubud like: Lotus Rest, Tepi Sawah and Bebek Bengil.
The Legian also nice hotel in Seminyak instead of The Dusun and Semaya Villas. .
Ku DeTa and Warisan restaurant is very famous there. I also have a lot repeiter there.
Do you make room reservation already? I have very special rate for Alila Ubud at USD 175.00/room/night for superior room included ABF and Free arrival transfer.
I also have Package for Alila at USD 155++/room/night, package included:
* Return transfer
* 01x Full Day Kintamani Tour ( 8 hrs)
* 01x Baliness massage or 01x Dinner at Hotel
* 01x Picknik trekking
* 01x Uluwatu tour and Jimbaran Dinner ( transport only)
* Daily Breakfast
* 01x Ubud tour
* 21% tax & service

The Legian Hotel also have some special rate.
I am very pleased to assist you , pls email: [email protected] or my Web: www.balitraveling.com. Mobile:+ 62 81338509758.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM

yes st peierre is better than au jardin but nothing beats the ambience of au jardin. it's hard to find a view of wide expanse of garden in singapore save for the zoo!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:38 AM

wein, thanks for your assessment. I'll have to try St. Pierre on my next stop in Singapore!