Bali Food/Restaurant Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Bali during the month of November and I am looking for advice on "don't miss" places to eat. We will be based out of Ubud but also exploring the surrounding areas. I would appreciate any advice on where to eat and what to order. What were your favorite restaurants and what did you eat? I got some great restaurant advice off this forum for my recent trip to Italy so am also hoping for some on Bali. Thank you.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Plenty of good choices in Ubud. Moziac is highly praised, but we haven't eaten there. Ary's is kind of modern and hip, right in Ubud Center. Lamak is an excellent choice. The food at Indus is pretty good; the views are excellent so choose it for breakfast or lunch over dinner when it is dark. We found Casa Luna (same owners as Indus), which almost everyone likes, to be so-so food with poor service. There are so many places... www.balieats.com does a monthly newsletter and has lots of restaurant reviews.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 02:18 PM

We enjoyed Ary's in Ubud. I consulted Balieats as well - great web site. Lamak and Mozaic are popular choices. The smoked duck at Cafe Lotus is a real treat - great atmosphere too.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 05:11 PM

You might want to try Batan Waru. So-so atmosphere but great food. They also have a branch in Kuta, but it's not quite so good. I don't remember having a bad meal in Ubud.

There was a place on Monkey Forest road across from the soccer field (think it was attached to a small hotel) that had a great "death by chocolate" type cake.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 05:25 PM

I second all the above recommendations. Mosaic was our big dissapointment on our trip. They were trying to be a Paris 3 star in Bali and it did not work, Very French without any effort to use the incredible spice palate of Bali. You could get the same food at any super expensive French restaurant anywhere and it was by far the most expensive meal in Ubud and one of the most boring. Save your money for more massages.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, these are great tips.

Where was your favorite meal in Ubud? I am looking forward to trying the duck that I have read so much about. My friend is a vegetarian so I am interested in any advice on good vegetarian restaurants as well.

I really appreciate your replies.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Naughty Nuri's Warung & grill is a basic place but serves the best BBQ in Ubud - the ribs are amazing. It is on the main street opposite the Neka museum.

We had our best meal in Cafe des Artistes . Really good food, nice surroundings and a good wine list.

Ary's Warung was very trendy location with reasonable but overpriced food.

Couldn't get into Mozaic as we hadn't booked. Supposedly the best restaurant in Bali but the prices on the menu wouldn't have been out of place here in London.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 08:00 AM

My best meals in Ubud were at Cafe Wayan and Cafe Lotus.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Kudeta and Gado Gado in Seminyak, I also had great food in Amandari and Amanusa
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM

I can't remember the Bahasa/Indo word, but the best duck and atmosphere and price combination is the Dirty Duck!!!