Bali Restaurant - to celebrate a 50th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 4 families travelling to Bali at the end of this month to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday. We are looking for a truly Balinese restaurant where we can celebrate her birthday - we are 18 people - adults and older teenagers. Ideally she would like something on or overlooking the beach but most of these are quite pricey and quite westernized. We will be staying at Nusa Dua at the time of her birthday but are happy to travel to Sanur, Seminyak , Kuta, Petitengetat - basically anywhere in that area. I was wondering if someone perhaps knows of a hidden gem where we could celebrate with her. We have looked at places like La Lucciola but with our weak currency (South African rands) this works out to be quite an expensive restaurant - any suggestions anyone?
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 03:44 PM

food is generally cheap in bali...

the Conrad hotel near to you is beautiful but will be expensive.. but just up the road is a very Balinese place, but no ocean view.. I will look up name..

a really nice place in sanur is The Village, jalan danau tamblingan, 47,but it has no view of the water.. Italian..

a very I place in sanur is Apa Kabar, jl. danau Tamblingan, 190.--- we all had tasting platters..
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM

the benoa rest. is bumbu bali...
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 04:07 PM

It's hard to find anything with a similar ambiance to LaLucciola that's less expensive. You might talk to them about setting a special menu for your group that would be more affordable.

The outside terrace at KuDeTa is not as expensive as the regular restaurant. YOu can reserve the whole terrace and set your own menu.

Some other ideas: Three Monkeys in Sanur, beautiful space, good food, but no view. Niksoma in Legian has a nice ocean view deck. I've never tried the food, though. Mamasan in Seminyak (also inland) is good for large groups -- good food, a mix of all-Asia, with Indonesian focus. Slippery Stone in Batu Belig is a pretty setting (also inland), eclectic menu, mostly good. Warisan in Kerobokan -- pretty garden setting, good food.

A little more ambitious is to rent a villa and have the meal catered, either by the villa management or an outside caterer. You could offset the cost by staying at the villa.

If by "Balinese" you mean local food, it gets even harder to find a place on the beach, except at hotels where the extra tax just adds to the cost. The good news is that the Rupiah is getting weaker!
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to both of you for all these suggestions - I'm always amazed at the generosity of the folk on this forum in terms of giving of their time to help others - it's really appreciated - thank you again.

marmot - unfortunately, as the Rupiah depreciates against the dollar, we are watching our South African Rand depreciate too..... oh well, at least we have a wonderful holiday to look forward too
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 02:04 PM

forget the exchange rate, IT'S A 50TH
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

you are spot on there rhkkmk!
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM

Kaapie, there is a restaurant next door to the Niksoma called Mozzarella. Its not fancy like La Lucciolas but its beach front, has great food (western and local), and a great 2 for 1 cocktail offer. Its very reasonable in price and sometimes has live entertainment. It would easily accommodate 18 people. We have eaten there many times and have never been disappointed. I think there are three Mozzarellas now in the area so make sure you ask for the one on the beach.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for this info triciafromoz