Thailand travel itinerary ??

Jul 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thailand travel itinerary ??

Hello All,
I have just signed up to Fodors, as i had found a lot of info from all your posts... hope you can advise me now as well!
My Fiance and i are getting married next month and going to Thailand on our honeymoon (from Israel!). We will be in Thailand only 16 days (cant get off work for more than that). We have researched quite a bit and want to focus on the areas of Chiang Mai, Ko Samui and BKK.
our tentative itinerary is 5 nights Chiang Mai, 7 nights Koh Samui and then 3 nights BKK. we have also already found hotels etc. Before we finalize our reservations, i want to ask anyone out there if our "location vs. nights" is a good choice? Is there that much to see in Chiang Mai to need 5 nights? or should we shorten that to like a weekend (thurs -Sun), and then be able to go to Kanchanaburi as well?
we want our vacation to be on one part relaxation in Samui, but adventurous as well... and want to do the jungely thing, elephants and all.
Can Kanchanaburi be done on a Day trip - considering the travel time from BKK, or do we need a night there in order to have a full day?

One more question... domestic flights... are we required to book flights now - in advance - or can we just "catch" a flight when we are there?? will domestic flights be full to capacity if we dont book now?

Thanx all in advance for your time... this is real important to us, as we have limited time and want to make the best experience of it!

Peace -
FireDragonII
Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM

August is high season in Koh Samui. There is only one airline that flies into and out of Koh Samui, so I'd highly recommend that you make your flight reservations soon.

Kanchanaburi can certainly be done as a day trip from Bangkok, or you can opt to stay over night. If you really want to go there, you need to cut time from other places as you'll need a minimum of three full days in Bangkok (in fact, I'd recommend more).

I'd suggest you cut a day from Chaing Mai, and a day (or even more, depending on how important the beach is to you) and add it to Bangkok. Bangkok is an exciting city with lots to see and do.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:22 PM

I agree with Kathie, I lived in Bangkok for almost 10 years and return every two years. I would make Chiangmai 3 days, Bangkok 5 days and Samui 7 if you want to be there that long or cut that to 5 and take in Kanchanaburi. A one day trip will be haried. YOu should hire a taxi for the entire day and have an early start in the morning. Stop briefly at Nakorn Pathom on the way there and then spend after lunch until dark in Kanchanaburi. Drive home after dark. Doing this you will not be able to take the train to Sai Yok however.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys!!!
lemme ask - where of the places we will go to is the best for adventurous activity? (dont want to waste too much time snapping pics at temples), i.e elephant trecks? rafting? jungle seeing? we will enjoy the "touristy" stuff, as we arent backpacker sorts, want adventure and then nice hotel. lol. i will chk your replies and then re-asses our days schedules.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:24 PM

CM is the best for "adventure". You can go on several day treks to hill tribe villages. My son and wife did this with Sergeant Kai who can be reached at ChiangMaitours.com. There are numerous other companies that can do this. If you choose to do this, I would break up the time, 4 days BKK, 4 days CM with two on a trek and 7 in Ko Samui. As noted by others, you should firm up your KS reservations quickly.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM

i would cut samui by one day and also think of cutting CM by one day and adding them to bkk....but you might want to keep CM where it is if you are going to do "adventure" things, although i am not sure what they are in your case??
Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

hey guys - so does this new itinerary sound better?:
arrive BKK, spend 1.5 days (2 nights) in BKK... fly to CM for 4 nights, then 6 nights KS - then back to BKK for extra 3 nights...

this way - should we wish, we can extend KS, or decide to spend either full day or maybe overnight at Kanchanaburi...

what website will get us the best domestic ticket rates? (with good service?)

u guys are awesome.. thnk you!!!
Jul 23rd, 2006, 08:01 PM

for me, that would be far better...
Jul 24th, 2006, 02:26 AM

You might find these places interesting. http://www.riverkwaifloatel.com/ From Chiang Mai you can do a mountain biking trip http://www.mountainbikingchiangmai.com/ , go to the elephant conservation center (for a real adventure sign on for the 3 day mahout training...it's really fun) www.changthai.com , go trekking, do a cooking class - www.alotofthai.com did an awesome custom class for us this year but they also have regular classes that you can join...for more ideas, here's a list of 40 things to do in Chaing Mai http://www.amari.com/tta/desguide_40things.asp

Jul 24th, 2006, 02:34 AM

You could take the direct flight to Koh Samui from Chaing Mai if it were Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday. It's an evening flight so you could enjoy a full day in Chiang Mai and dinner in Samui. If you connect and use Bangkok Air for the whole trip you won't have trouble if your flight is late. Bangkok Air has always been flexible for us in changing flights when we want, but in peak season flights to Samui can and do sell out. If you mix carriers, you may have trouble changing to a later flight if you miss your original one because another airline got you to BKK too late...not sure how Bangkok Air would deal with that as we've never had to do any connection to them on a separate ticket.
Jul 25th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Definitely take Bangkok Airways from CM to Samui...and definitely buy the ticket in advance. It's the more expensive of options, but worth the price in saved time and hastle. I made the mistake of waiting until we were there to make those arrangements and it was a nightmare finding our way to Samui. Good luck, have a great trip.
Jul 26th, 2006, 05:39 AM

You could also try Air Asia between bkk and chiangmai.
Don't forget to try the spas in chiangmai. A good one (and very reasonably priced) is saranrom spa. They provide free taxi from your hotel and back.
Jul 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Your second itinerary is definitely better. I'd consider 3 nights in BKK at the beginning, though, and 2 at the end rather than the other way around. I think you'll be glad to settle in for 3 nights when you first arrive in order to recover from jetlag rather than having to move again so quickly.
If I were you, I'd book the flights in advance. And let me, too, add a recommendation for Sergeant Kai. He's a wonderful guide. Have a great time - and congratulations on your wedding!
Karen