Cambodia - Entry Visa Info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family, along w/2 other families, are travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam in June. I know you need an entry visa for Cambodia. Does anyone know how difficult and how long it takes to get the entry visa at the airport (Angor Wat).

We have precious little time in Angor Wat, so if the visa could potentially hold us up, I'd rather get it ahead of time.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 12:11 PM

It is not difficult to get your visa on arrival at Siem Reap. Basically how long it takes depends on how long the line is.

If you are concerned about it, get it in advance from an embassy or consulate in your own country.

BTW, if you time in Siem Reap is so short that you are concerned about how long it takes to get the VOA, you might want to restructure your itinerary. It takes three full days just to see the so-called major temples, and if you are interested in the temples, you'll want longer. It would be a shame to go al the way to Cambodia for a mere glimpse of those fabulous temples.

It you don't have it, buy a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, "Angkor: A guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples" so you are prepared for your visit.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Last October, it took about 5 minutes to get my visa. I was in about the third row on the plane, and walked fast enought to be near the head of the line, but even so, the line moved fast.

Remember to take 2 photos with you.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 03:29 PM

I've got my visa and still had to wait for my check in luggage. How long are you in Cambodia for? Also, and this is rather pedantic, Siem Reap is the name of the town closest to the Angkor Wat temple complex. (and where you will stay)
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 04:21 PM

<<<Remember to take 2 photos with you>>>

We only needed one picture (we were there last month). More important, be sure to have $$ for the visa -- I think it's $20 USD per person (not sure if the price is different for kids). There is an ATM just before the visa line if you don't have cash. The whole visa thing is very simple -- absolutely no need to do it in advance. At most, it might take 15 minutes.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. For the fee, do you pay in US$, or do you need to exchange into local currency first?

Yes, Siem Reap is the name. Was in a hurry while typing!
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM

USD. Even the ATMs give out USD. Everything is negotiatedin USD, even payment to our tuk-tuk driver.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 07:00 AM

G'day!

The best way in this case is that you should arrange in advance it at the embassy.

However the visa upon arrival for Cambodia can be done easiy at the airport.You need to bring 01 photo(passport size) and the fee is $20/person in cash and USD.Normally it takes you around 30 minutes.It depends on the number of passengers.

One more way is arrange the visa upon arrival with a travel agent.They have arrange the fast track service.

Hope it help in some ways.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM

I have gone into Cambodia by road 4 times in past 12 months, so, my experience is a little different.

However, on another forum that I frequent, people say that there are NO PROBLEMS obtaining a visit on arrival at Siem Reap airport. Cost is US $ 20.00. May take 15 minutes or so, depending on the volume of passengers. You need to have a passport photo with you, but, I have read that they will take your photo for a dollar or so

I preferred to do my visa on line, and it take perhaps a few days to process, although, on one occasion, it only took 3 hours. Cost is $25.00 ( instead of the $20.00 ).. However, it saved me losing four pages of my passport which is something that would have happened if I obtained my visa on arrival.
(four visits = 4 visas )

Apparently, the visa take a full page of your passport. With e-Visa, you print out TWO COPIES of the visa, attach one copy in your passport ( staples are OK ), and then give the second copy to passport control on exit of Cambodia. You can detach the used visa if you want after you leave Cambodia.

Here is a link for Visa on line http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

Another thing to remember, in Cambodia , the US$ is the defacto currency. However, they will not accept dirty or marked notes. One Dollar notes are OK, but have a dirty $10, $50 or $100 note, and it will not be accepted. I had a $100 note from a exchange counter in Bangkok airport, and no-one would accept it in Siem Reap. Even a bank. Finally got rid of it back in Bangkok. In January, I received a slightly marked $50 from an ATM in Siem Reap, and it wasnt accepted.

Carry plenty of $1.00 bills as they are good for tips and purchasing souvenirs at the temples.