Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Flight option question - Delhi to Udiapur - please weigh in your opinion

Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

We will be arriving at the Delhi airport at 10:35 pm from the USA. We have decided to travel directly to Udiapur, rather than going into Delhi at the start of our trip. We have two options:

1. Fly Jet Airways at 5:40 AM to Udiapur - sleeping for approximately 4 hours in a transit pod or
2. Fly Kingfisher at 11:40 AM to Udiapur - getting a full nights sleep in either the transit hotel in the airport or a nearby hotel.

Is Jet Airways reliable? Note: we will be traveling in Sept so the fog should not be an issue. Which would you do?
Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:09 AM

I would try to get as normal a night's sleep as possible at a REAL hotel and then take the relaxed 11:40 AM flight to Udaipur (note spelling) arriving late enough in the day that you'll be allowed to check into your hotel. I assume that the 5:40 AM flight will get you into Udaipur at about 7 AM. What will you do at that hour for entertainment? You'll likely still be jet-lagged and tired.

That said, both Jet Airways and Kingfisher are reliable.
Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM

Agree with Craig. Although if you're in first or business class you might get enough sleep on the flight. Otherwise four hours sleep wouldn't be enough for me.
Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM

The lone dissenting voice?

Dgunbug, decision made in a heartbeat: I'd do the pods and get a 4 hour nap, priot to your first full, fascinating day in India. I predict you'll be so excited, sooooo awake with the sights and sounds of India, you won't feel sleepy until that evening!

Do you have a hotel booked for Udaipur? Will they let you leave your luggage there while you get some breakfast--even chai and toast, if you 're not up for a big meal. Who knows--maybe here will be a room ready for you to check in.

IME, Jet was perfectly fine for a short flight (Bangalore to Cochin)
Apr 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM

i could do either... i find that the first night i usually only sleep for 4+ hours, so the pod might work, but honestly i doubt given indian standards that it would be very nice...

on the other hand i would like a decent meal before i continued my journey, and maybe even a quick swim... for sure a shower in a clean bathroom.... so i might consider the Raddisson at the airport (near by) or the marriott courtyard (we are staying here 3 times) and other hotels in nearby Gurgaon--there are many...
Apr 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM

Yeh, it was a shower and a decent meal that I was really thinking of - although I would think there is a shower in the pod...

Cali - I remember our first day in India - arrived 5:30 AM totally energized after sleeping 3 - 4 hours on the flight from BKK. We headed straight to Agra with our driver, enjoying the total assault on our senses. Upon our arrival in the early afternoon, we fell fast asleep until dinner time...
Apr 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Craig, i love your story, and completely "relate" as i am sure others will Sounds like us the first day of our trip last time (June)
Arrival--driver waiting, and car straight to Agra. Expecvted we'd nap in the car, but had underestimated the "total assault on our senses" as you so perfectly put it. We'd have crashed too--that lovely hotel, comfortable lovely beds, that airconditioning!!!--but our guide met us at hotel, laid out a plan, explained why it would be cooler by late afternoon (100 instead of 110, ) and was so enthusiastic and persuasive, we rested briefly, then off to the Fort, then the park across from the Taj for a sunset view. A delicious dinner, early to bed, ZZZZZ...then up early for a hazy sunrise and very early entrance to Taj Mahal, before crowds arrived.
I am so thankful to that guide--it was the perfect time and perfect itinerary to keep two jet lagged ladies awake and excited until bedtime.
Apr 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for weighing in. Our decision has been made. We will high tail it to Udaipur, get a sleeping pod for a few hours and get in a full day of touring. No sleep for the weary. We've got miles to go and too little time...going to try to make use of every moment. Booked our early flight last night.
Apr 26th, 2011, 12:56 PM

For what it's worth--I think you made the right decision!!!
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks CaliNurse!
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Good luck! Looking forward to your trip report...
Apr 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM

punishment has no bounds
Apr 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM

lol, rhkkmk!

Dgunbug, when do you leave? Wanna wish you a bon voyage on the eve before!!!
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM

We went straight to Udaipur too after arriving. It was the best decision for us and hopefully will be for you too
Apr 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Glad to hear that live42day!
CaliNurse - we leave on September 14. Still quite a while away.
Apr 27th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Live4today - I just re-read your excellent report and watched your videos. Super job!
Apr 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM

thank you. I need to go back! I loved India. Have a great trip and I look forward to reading your report.