Reload this Page >

Cambodian Visa

Search

Cambodian Visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Martha Ferguson

Cambodian Visa

Has anyone used the Cambodian Embassy in <BR>Washington, D.C., to obtain a Visa for visiting Cambodia? Were there any problems?<BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Marilyn

Martha -- Are you flying into Siem Reap? If so, you don't need to get a visa in advance. You can get your visa at the airport when you land. Just have a few photos (passport size) and US$20.<BR><BR>I would assume that this would be the case flying into Phnom Penh as well. You can always call the Cambodian Embassy to check, but I don't think you need to get the visa until you land.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:03 PM
sue

I was planning to send the money to D.C. this week to get the visa to avoid the lines at the airport in Siem Reap.<BR>Is there not an advantage to that?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Kathie

I also got my visa on arrival at Siem Reap. The line wasn't long. I thought it was less hassle to get my visa upon arrival than through the embassy. Note that there are just three places you can get a Cambodian visa on arrival: the airport at Siem Reap, the airport at Phnom Penh, and the land crossing from Poipet, Thailand.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Marilyn

Seems like getting the visa was just one short stop in the same line for immigration, getting your passport stamped, etc. I guess it's up to you whether to get it in advance. On my two trips landing at Siem Reap you wouldn't have saved more than 5 minutes.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:26 PM
John G

I just returned from Cambodia in July and you get your visa at the airport in Siem Riep or Phnom Penh. It is $20 and they only use ONE photograph (I don't know why the US Embassy tells you you need 3 photos.). Marilyn is correct. You have to stand in line whether you have a visa or not. The airport in Siem Riep only takes US money. They don't even want riels.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Marilyn

John -- I think they used to require a couple of photos a few years ago. It's down to one. But you can use the other one for your Angkor Wat pass, and I always take a few when I travel 'cause they seem to come in handy.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 06:04 PM
bob

our passports were just returned from wash dc on thursday...it took about a week to process... i just sent them regular mail as i always do with very secure envelopes...<BR>note: for figuring the return postage all that comes back is one piece of paper and your passports...no added info...<BR><BR>bangkok airways office in NYC was very nice to deal with if you need an flights from bangkok to cambodia

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Martha Ferguson

I sent our passports to the Cambodian <BR>Embassy in D.C. on a Monday, and they <BR>were returned the following Monday by <BR>Fed Ex. I sent them by Registered Mail and paid the $20 fee for return. The Embassy even called to tell me when to expect to receive them! I thought the service was excellent!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Heather

Hi Martha,<BR><BR>Don't bother getting your Cambodian visa in advance. We flew into Siem Riep a few weeks ago and no one on our flight had a visa in advance. It took all of 15 minutes to wait in line and shell out USD 20, and one passport photo. <BR><BR> One caveat: Make sure you have enough pages in your passport for the full-page Cambodian visa as well as room for entry and exit stamps. I was detained about an hour because I had only the last page left in my passport (and the last few pages of a US passport says something like, "appendices and endorsements") I tried reasoning with the immigration officer by showing him that my French work visa is on one of these pages, but he didn't seem to understand. Finally he made me sign a statement authorizing him to place the visa on the abovementioned page!<BR><BR>P.S. If you forget a passport photo, don't fret. One lady in our group didn't have one and she was simply charged USD 5. Funny--they didn't take a photo of her, they just took her money!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Marilyn

Heather, good point about the passport pages. Bangkok Air would not allow me to board the flight to Siem Reap because I did not have a full page available in my passport for the Cambodian visa. They told me that I would be sent back to Bangkok and not allowed into Cambodia. So we switched our flight to several hours later and taxi'd from the airport back to the American Embassy to get pages inserted in my passport. Whew -- what a hassle!!