Best scone & clotted cream in HK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2010, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an "English" tea place (Rose House) directly across from my hotel in Taipei, which reminded me that as a former British colony HK should be a good place for afternoon tea. I don't particularly want the full spread - I don't like to eat a lot in the middle of the afternoon - but I have a decided weakness for scones with jam and lots (and lots) of clotted cream. (Also for raspberries and cream, which was part of the (massive) offering at the Raffles in Singapore when I had tea there.)

So, any nominations for the best place to indulge? I'm staying on the island, if that makes a difference.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peninsula hotel lobby.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:40 AM

Agree w/ the Peninsula.

If you're on the island, or looking for a (very) slightly lower-key experience, the Mandarin offers a similar spread in a (very) slightly quieter space.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:47 AM

I third? The peninsula although I had a fab afternoon tea at the MO some years back
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:59 AM
Amy

The Peninsula tea is a lovely experience, but I do have to say that the full spread served me as both lunch and dinner that day--so, yes it's a lot of food for the afternoon. (Oh, and I have to agree with you on the clotted cream. I currently {currant-ly} have homemade scones but no cc, and it's just not the same. )
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Well, that's remarkable unanimity! Thanks - but nowhere to get just the scone without everything else?
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM

The Peninsula or the Mandarin would certainly be good choices. Avoid the Penn on weekends as you will have to queue. As you are here in the good weather, I would also put in a vote for Sevva, where you could have tea on their lovely large terrace and enjoy some views from a comfortable sofa. They are heavy on the pastries (as they have an excellent bakeshop), so again it may be too large a spread for what you want. Top floor of the Prince’s Building in Central.

The restaurant on the 4th floor of Harvey Nichols has a nice afternoon tea in a very modern setting, different from the Penn or the Mandarin.

The Four Seasons has tea in their lobby which might also be a good choice.

You might try Café Cassette also in the Mandarin where you may be able to just get scones. They have a great bakery there. It is on the first floor.

Joel Rubuchon has a tea salon in the Landmark Shopping Centre which may be worth a stop. Not as atmospheric as the Penn or the Mandarin, but currently popular with the <i>tai tais</i> (ladies who lunch, or in this case, tea). See http://www.robuchon.hk/

For just scones and clotted cream, you might try a pub. Something like the Jockey in Happy Valley is absolutely delightful this time of year, as again you can sit outside and enjoy the neighborhood feeling of this green and rather quite corner of town. Take the Happy Valley tram to the end of the line, and you will get a scenic ride into the bargain. I am not entirely sure they have scones, you may want to call. See http://www.thejockey.com.hk/
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 12:57 AM

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I left off the Verandah! Someone at lunch today mentioned it. Great setting in Repulse Bay with an outdoor verandah, nice views and good scones. (It was closed for renovations for a while I have not been back since they closed, but I hear they did a great redo.) Tea is served 3 – 5:30 pm daily. I would avoid weekends unless you have a booking. I think it is about HK$180 per person, but could not find exact info on their website. See http://www.therepulsebay.com/en/dining.asp

Also, I was at Causette for lunch and found that they have tea from 3-6 pm for HK$198 which includes sandwiches, pastries and scones. You can also go where the formal high tea is served (Clipper Lounge) and order only scones for HK$68 and a cup of tea for HK$68 (you don’t have to get the huge full tea service which is HK$238.) Not sure if the Penn offers a la carte for tea, but you could check their website.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Cicerone. The Jockey Club and the Verandah sound great - it would be fun to visit Happy Valley.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Flew into HK yesterday. (Loved the Airport Express.) By the time I got checked in and sorted out at Bishop Lei it was past 2:00 pm and I was feeling hungry, so I took the easiest option and went to the Mandarin. Food was good but not abundant, service variable, ambiance more business than leisure. But it worked for the clotted cream fix - should hold me until Singapore, unless I indulge in India.

Then I strolled through Central and took the escalator up to the hair salon Cicerone recommended on another thread. Her stylist was on holiday, but Lisa did a good job.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM

Yep. Peninsula is the place to go.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Well, I wound up at the Penn anyway. What else to do in Tsim Sha Tsui on a rainy afternoon when the Art Museum is closed? Turns out they will do just scones, which is what I had. Definitely a more Victorian architecture than the Mandarin, bigger scones, although more cream would have been nice (but isn't that always true?), service good except for the remarkably long wait for my credit card to come back to me. They serve afternoon tea from 2:00 to 7:00, and by 3:00 there was a line.