Search

Peninsula Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peninsula Hong Kong

Hallo,
Has anyone of the Hong Kong travelers took part at the afternoon tea at the Peninsula in Hong Kong.

How much is it, what do the offer???
Here in Vienna, Austria there is a nice afternoon tea offered at a reasonable price (imo) and I wanted to see is this would be a nice thing to do while in HK

thx
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:12 AM

Tea at the Pen in Hong Kong consist of finger sandwiches, scones and cookies(perhaps some other food stuff). Usually the lobby where you have the tea is quite crowded. I can't remember the price sorry!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM

I've never had tea at the Pennisula, but tried to do 3 weeks ago (mid-week, between Christmas and New Year). Well, when the two friends (who I recruited) & I got there at around 4:00, the place was very crowded. First, they basically used the whole lobby for afternoon tea, and only left very narrow walkways for people to pass through the lobby. And then, along one wall were like 60-80 people in line for a table. Immediately I said forget it.

Well, once you have a table, then it should be quite comfortable, as the chairs are large, and table spaced reasonably far apart. Maybe if you can go early enough, then it'll be better.

But looking at who's at the hotel that day, it seems like most of the people there either 1) wanted to see some celebrity, or 2) wanted to be seen. Food and tea doesn't seem too important to most of the customers there.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM

High tea at the Pen is very enjoyable, but like rkkwan said, the place is always packed. You can hardly hear the string quartet in the din of the conversations. However, the food, including finger sandwiches, scones and sweet and savory pastries, is very good. I don't remember exactly how much it was. If you are looking for a place for high tea, I would recommend the Repulse Bay Hotel, another one of Peninsula Group's properties. The atmosphere is much better.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM

I love high tea in the right atmosphere and for my book this was NOT the right atmosphere. Felt highly commercial, highly rushed and I felt like I was in the middle of rus hour.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Of this, there can be no doubt. The Penn in Hong Kong leaves me just as cold as the Penn in BKK-except that I did have breakfast at the Penn in HKG-the service was confused and sub-par, and the 2 tiny pastries-well, I think I could have gotten better at the 7-11-no, I KNOW I could have!

And as for afternoon tea there, a couple of weeks ago, I walked through the Penn on a Saturday afternoon, on my way out the other side-and the line was out the door of the Penn Arcade all the way down the sidewalk up through to the lobby! Unbelieveable! And this, for no view of the harbour either, just the "privilege" of having tea at the vaunted Penn! Puh-leeze! All the tourist sheep were lined up, dutifully, just as all the travel guidebooks said for them to do, waiting patiently-I think it was about 4:30pm or so when I walked through-god only knows how long they waited-probably until the next day. As I passed them, I couldn't help saying something like "you've got to be kidding" or words to that effect...

Now, if you want a really good afternoon tea in HKG with a fantastic view of the harbour, and really good savories and sweets to choose from, I would suggest going right next door to the Penn to the Sheraton's Sky Bar, where they serve a wonderful tea in their Sky Lounge, and you have your choice of about 8 different items, plus a number of teas (I think I had my usual Darjeeling) and the cost came to around US14 or so. Very relaxing, and of course that superlative view -no crowds either-not a touristy group there at all.

I will say one good thing about the Penn-HKG: their Phillippe Starke-designed Felix bar on the top floor was not at all unpleasant-I liked the atmosphere, (yes-those restrooms are pretty avant-garde!), the bar itself is set on a stage-like raised platform-so, if you're sitting at a table in and around the bar, the rest of the room gets to eat and look at you up on this lighted stage-um, a little disconcerting maybe, unless you're sitting along the edges by the curtains! Definitely a hip crowd though-all the wealthy young Hong Kong dudes with their model-chic girlfriends making the scene. The staff at Felix were surprisingly gracious and unpretentious (unlike down in the lobby area, I might add).

However, if you're looking for a REALLY hip club to visit in Hong Kong, the only place to go as far as I'm concerned is Dragon-i on Wyndham-where all the celebs hang out in the VIP rooms when in town, otherwise, it seems to be the models' hang-out-I think when I was there, all the print models from Shanghai Tang showed up-great music, atmosphere, and the food is not half bad either- I had something called a chocolate "boon" cake that was truly a chocolate lover's dream (and I'm not a chocoholic either!) I also had some grilled prawns, and my friend had a satay. Dragon-i serves good Asian-fusion food, at reasonable prices, for both food and drink. Most excellent place-it starts getting warmed up about 11:30pm or so. Check it out on www.dragon-i.com.hk. Love that red room!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Is about HK$150 per head I think. I have been on a weekday in non holiday season (went in Nov) and it was not crowded at all, we did not have to wait for a table. I thought the fare was OK - nothing compared to the choc buffet at the Sukhothai, Bkk or any of the otehr buffets I would highly reco. Is a decent exp of being in the Pen but that's about it.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:33 AM

HKD 150 sounds a bit on the cheap side to me. The High Tea at the Peninsula is fine, but, without doubt, overated. A nice, less touristy, but very upmarket alternative, is the Clipper Lounge on the mezaninne floor of The Mandarin Oriental.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

hy everybody,

thx for the informations - I could have guessed that it would be at time overrun.

Well, anymore good tips for a good reasonable priced buffet in HK - will be there in May 05 for 5 days.

thx
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Good and reasonably priced buffet - difficult one.

A fantastic buffet at a so-so price is easier to reccommend

Cafe Kool at the Kowloon Shangri La, possibly the best buffet (its more of a "several live kitchen concept&quotI have ever seen - way better than any famous Las Vegas I've tried. Price - not cheap, but still superb value for money, considering what is on offer (includes a chocolate fountain)
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM

ngodeia, rkkwan or anyone...is the Sunday buffet at the Repulse Bay still there? If so does anyone know what it is like?
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:15 PM

I haven't been to The Repulse Bay in years (some sad personal stories there ), but their website still says they have "the best Sunday Brunch in town", which I think is what you're referring to. Also served every day is their "famous Traditional English Afternoon Tea".

I guess I'll try one of those next time I'm in HK.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 01:53 AM

I was at Repulse Bay last Sunday and the buffet was fabulous and a huge spread. The location and views are wonderful.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Jed

a few years ago we went to tea at the Peninsula. At that time the regular High Tea costs 165 HKD ($21) and consisted of 2 scones with clotted cream and 6 small tea sandwiches and pastry, and a pot of tea. With the addition of another pot of tea, it was enough for 2. The final bill was about 250 HKD ($32), which we felt was worth the experience.

The place was full, but we didn't feel rushed. It might be best to find out when it is less crowded. Don't go at 'rush hour.'
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Thanks to rkkwan and JuneAnn...Must give it a try next time.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:54 PM

Silvia:

The Pen-HK is virtually bashed, trashed & trampled by the HK Tai Tai's. Gossips galore in the tea cups during noon.
Definately not recommended for the beautiful "Nibelungenlied" Austrian symphonies !!

Instead, get yourself some freshly baked cookies & some good strong coffee to waltz with your stomach so that you can samba on the dinner buffet at the Sheraton Hotel across the street from Pen.(do chk out if they have their asian flavours with some water watering kebabs and authentic Indian curries)

Most hotels have dinner buffets from about US$45 ++

Mandarin Oriental hotel on HK Island is another place to "try" the noon tea if you insist and for western dining.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM

We just returned from 5 nights at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong. Tea at the Peninsula was wonderful. The lobby is beautiful, the service excellent and the food was delicious. We were very glad that we didn't miss it. We went at 2:00 PM when tea service begins and we got right in.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 09:35 PM

I went there for a couple of times in 2002 or 2003 when the economy was not that good and there was no queue. Not now, sorry, mostly because of its fame as well as the many tourists from the Mainland China (not many Hong Kong Tai Tai there nowadays). If you know the pace of Hong Kongers well, you will understand that most of the people in the queue are in fact tourists, not locals.