Bangkok hotel pools

Search

Bangkok hotel pools

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok hotel pools

We will be in Bangkok during Christmas and New Years with 2 teenage children,I wanted to know more about the Bangkok hotel pools in Luxury category before I pick our hotel.
Some say the water is ice cold in most of the pools and some say the pools do not always have full sunlight all day long,some pools are supposed to be tiny.
What is the pool scene like ?
I do not have any hotels in mind but we are looking into JW.Marriott,Grand Hyatt,Sofitel,St.Regis,Millenium,etc...
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Shangri La has a beautiful area by the river. Don't know if it's heated though. One of my facorite hotels.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM

I think the pool at the Sheraton Royal Orchid is one of the loveliest in town. There are two pools, one next to the river in full sun all day (not something you really want in Bangkok) and one located in a garden next to the hotel, surrounded by palms and other greenery so it has both shady areas and sunny areas. It's a free-form pool with a swim-up bar. The water temp has always been fine in my experience.

There are rumors that some hotels chill their pool water.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 02:23 PM

I am a bkk pool nut... the water temp varies by hotel but none is really cold... some are chilled however.

imo, the very best pool and pool area is at the anantara riverside; the Sheraton (ROS) has 2 pools---one is horrible but the other in the grounds of the portugese embassy next door is very lovely; I don not like the main pool at the Shangri-La--it is right outside a door to the hotel and a restaurant and you feel on display, the other is ok at the krungthrup wing; chatrium riverside has a lovely pool but not much shade overlooking the river; the peninsuls pool is only about 3 feet deep and is actually 3 separate pools with waterfalls between; the 4 seasons has a decent pool; the jw Marriott is bad--small and shallow; st regis pool is lovely and overlooks the royal sports club; Hilton overlooks the river with little shade.

this year I will return to anantara, try the Conrad and the renaissance.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 03:22 PM

Plaza Athenee has a nice roof-top pool...
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 04:34 PM

I agree with rhk that the pool area at the Anantara (formerly a Marriott) is really very nice. I prefer shade, and you can find it there, no problem.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM

>>>...I wanted to know more about the Bangkok hotel pools in Luxury category before I pick our hotel.<<<

Greetings 'tunc' and warm welcome to fodors.

Bit rushed this morning, but do wish to put in yet another heartfelt promotion for my current and primary Bangkok business travel hotel, the Four Seasons, her serene lap pool for dawn exertions, her gracious staff - and yes, most competitive and gratefully appreciated corporate rates.

Not certain of your ultimate budget, but will put in ongoing promotions to some recent holiday stays at the Bangkok Mandarin Oriental and The Siam. As always, my reviews on my profile page of various Bangkok hotels only hint at the warmth and graciousness to be found; savour your times in the City of Angels.

All the best, tunc, very happy for you. You and your family are venturing off to a special part of the world. Warm wishes to you and all from a rather new Asia business travel locale (and airport and lounges) that will rather soon entail flying... Malaysia Airlines in 'C'! (Every now and then, this life-long Singapore Airlines Loyalist ventures afar - by necessity),

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 03:54 AM

Tha Anantara does indeed have a very nice pool. One caution, though, is that the hotel tends to attract lots of families, and the pool area can have more small children around than do the pools at some other hotels (especially those in the downtown area).

Among the downtown hotels, the Hyatt has an especially nice pool area, and its location is excellent (direct entrance to MRT station, easy walk to attractions, restaurants, & shopping).
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 02:04 AM

Hi tunc_ogel,

Personally I have never had ice cold water in swimming pools in Bangkok.. not anywhere in Thailand actually.. But i guess that with the current heat right now, it would be a treat ahaha..
You could check these hotels which have quite awesome pools (even if i don't stay for the night, i like to enjoy the pool bars..)

You can check out:
-the Continent Hotel
-Chatrium Riverside
-Sofitel SO (Sathorn)
-Eastin (Sathorn)
-Siam@siam
-Treehouse: no rooftop pool, but its definitely a unique place and can be nice for your children too.
-Aloft (Soi 11)
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

I got real good rates from Siam Kempinski.any thoughts on this hotel ?
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 07:05 AM

Very nice hotel (Siam Kempinski), one of the best non riverside hotel in Bangkok. Connected to the Paragon Mall with easy access to the BTS (Sky train). Beautiful lobby and rooms!