Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

BANGKOK-LeMeridien, BanyanTree, Pathumwan Princess, ShangriLa Krungthep????

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to start another post about this subject, but...

I will arrive around midnight and spend either two or three nights in Bangkok late next February. Last time I stayed at the Peninsula, which is a stunning property (even if the swimming pool was cold!)

This time I would like another location. Pool for laps is a must. Other requirements might be ability to walk to restaurants at night. Extra points for ease of taxi access to Chote Chitr restaurant.

I do not care about shopping in the fancy malls but might want to wander around small shops during the day. Mainly I would like to relax, swim and eat.

So far, with only a brief look, I came up with these and would love to read comments; please expand upon location of these places..and suggest others.

A million thanks!

1. Le Meridien (new hotel)

2. Pathumwan Princess (I know it is near MBK but the pool looks great and the prices seem very good)

3. Banyan Tree. Again, pool looks excellent

4. ShangriLa--Krungthep wing looks like it has a good pool. Is this the more or less-luxurious part of the hotel (I thought it was more luxurious but a review on TA contradicted this.)
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:49 AM

the royal orchid sheraton has a nice pool...so does the marriott resort and spa....

take a look at the nei lert....nice pool

the pool at the hilton on the river is unique

WILL WE GET TO MEET YOU AT A MINI GTG IN NYC IN JULY WITH GPANDA?? hope so....
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Madam CEO,

Satellite recon shows a rather large swimming pool here - http://www.siamparkcity.com/ but not hotel!
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Pathumwan Princess and although I am sure there is no comparison between it and the Peninsula we felt that it was good value for money. There is also very easy access to the Skytrain. And the pool was good.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM

The Krungthep Wing is the more luxurious part of the Shangri La (and closest to the Skytrain). The Shang has two pools - the one by the Krungthep Wing is smaller and rectangular shaped, probably best for doing laps.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM

From among those, I'd chose the Shangri-La as I love being by the river.

As you know, I love the Royal Orchid Sheraton. I always stay in the Towers (lots of extra amenities). The ROS has two pools, one is a lap pool, the other is in a shady garden and is more for lounging.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Take a look at the Metropolitan. I've not stayed there, but the name came up when I did a google search for Bangkok lap pool. The Met is next door to the Banyan Tree, which is on your list.
Carol
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman: Very funny! Must you be reprimanded yet again for blasting the confidential satellite photos all over the internet? Dili is waiting! And besides, there are people in that pool! I need my own lane!

I will take a good look at the ROS and Met. I thought I should stay somewhere other than the river this time, but I am just beginning to mosey around looking for hotels.

I just took a brief look at the SwissHotel Nai Lert-excellent reviews on TA! Why do we never hear about it here? Do we have an idea of what that location is like?

What about the location of the new Meridien? And location of Banyan Tree?

There seem to be so many options!

Are any of these even remotely near Chot Chitr restaurant?
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM

This SwissHotel Nai Lert is a 10 minute walk on Wireless Road from the Ploenchit Skytrain station. I have not stayed there but it is located right next to the Promenade home furniture mall which we visited last month. Wireless Road in that area has nicely shaded wide sidewalks. The Swiss and British embassies are nearby.

Chote Chitr is in or near Banglampoo which is not near any of these hotels.

The new Meridien is in the Silom area and the Banyan Tree is on Sathorn - neither are particularly well-situated IMO.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Bob: Yes, I hope so!!!!!

Ok: This hotel looks excellent; great-looking pool. Any opinion on location; prices do seem high, though:

http://www.sukhothaihotel.com/pro_rates.php
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Eks,

Nai Lert is a nice hotel but the guest rooms have rather small bathrooms. The pool is big but it's not built in a typical Olympic style pool shape but the garden surrounding the pool is wonderful. Close to the Central Chidlom department store and the furniture mall Craig mentioned.

The owner, a stately old lady, live in one of the nicest classical Thai teak house right next to the hotel but it's fenced off and hidden from the hotel. Tell the guards that her estranged grandson works for you and they might let you in.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM

The Sukhothai is right next to the Banyan Tree. Another nice hotel but the pool is shared with their health club.
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM

EKS-the pool at the Royal Orchid Sheraton is perfect for lap swimming. Plus, there are several very good restaurants within walking distance. The rooms are nothing special, but the convenience of the ROS, plus being free with Starwood Points, convinces us to always stay there. Maybe you could ask for the Panda Suite.
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Oops I meant to say the pool is shared with their health club and it can get busy sometime. Rooms are nice at the Sukhothai and you can walk to the Banyan Tree for food or vice-versa if you're staying at the Tree.

Getting late - signing off for the day!
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Wait, wait, Hanuman: Do you mean the Sukhothai pool can get crowded sometimes? Or the Banyan Tree pool? The Sukhothai looks right up my alley.

"Estranged grandson???" The plot thickens!

Panda: The ROS pool does look good; I did not realize that they had two pools!

So I think it will be between those two: Sukhothai or ROS with Banyan Tree running just behind.
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

.or the new Meridien. They are also Starwood.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM

eks- I've stayed at the ROS and I really don't think it's worth the $$ if you are paying for the room. If you are looking for a room for starwood points then it's a good deal. Though if that's the case, you might want to look at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (don't know about the pool though). I think if you stay at the ROS after having stayed at the Pen previously, you will be very disappointed.

Wondering why you MUST go back to Chote Chitr? You went before, right? You think it's worth returning? After my 2nd visit, I did not.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM

the meridien is just up the road from the main store of jim thompson....its not a great area, but not a bad one either...one end of patpong is nearby....
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Kristina: I had such a good lunch there and I have been thinking about it for the past year. But I don't HAVE to return...in fact I would welcome recommendations because I feel as if I did very little exploring during my trip last year.

Did you feel that the food at CC was not as good? Or just that it was not worth going through the trouble of getting there for a second meal? Can you give me more details about what you did NOT like? Honestly it would be a lot easier to eat someplace else. But nowhere that I ate came remotely close to the level of greatness that CC showed.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM

I felt that the owner was pushing the same 4 or 5 dishes that she pushes on everyone; those that were in the famous NY Times article. In fact, I had to insist on the eggplant dish (which is very good). But while the rest of the food was good, I don't think it was particularly better than any other place, nor do I think it's worth the hassle of getting there (unless you are already in the area).

Have you tried Baan Kranithita? (not certain of spelling on that sorry) It's on soi 23, and judging by what I know of your taste, I think you might like it.
Here's what I wrote about them
"The restaurant looks like an old Thai house and they seat us upstairs. They bring a wonderful complimentary appetizer with leaves that are to be filled with all sorts of savories, wrapped like a package and eaten. We also order eggplant salad with shrimp, squid, and ground pork, duck red curry with grapes, stir fried morning glory with garlic and chilis. It'a all good and this turns out to be one of the best ducks of the trip. The food does not seem to be "dumbed down" for tourists (though there are quite a few here). With the food, we have two beers, waters, rice, and it's 1000 baht."

I'm going back to BKK in July, not sure yet where we're going to eat. I like to try new places, so I'm going to have to go through my notes to see where we've not yet been. Now that we're staying at the Pen again (as opposed to the SGS), I'm going to have to do a little more research. Would love it if I could find some place within walking distance on that side of the river. There used to be a guy who sold duck/rice right across the street from the driveway entrance...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -