Best Hotel Pool in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any opinions on the best hotel pool in Bangkok? Also Chiang Mai and Phuket? Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:41 AM

No brainer- BKK- Marriott on the river! Just ask Bangkok Bob!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:47 AM

From what I've seen in visiting hotels I'd agree with Bill and Bob -- Bangkok Marriott.

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:50 AM

THIS IS KILLING ME, BUT the ROS has a very very nice pool in the grounds of the portugese embassy....it does not have the gardens that go with it like the marriott does but the pool area itself is very nice and probably the closest of any hotel pool in bkk to the river itself...literally 15 feet...

i have not visited nei lert's (former hilton) pool area which i think may be very nice....any comments from anyone???
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:49 PM

I agree -- the ROS pool is the best part about the hotel. Shangri-La's is fine but often too crowded. The Pen is my favorite, not for its size, but for the tranquil feel (and the nifty salas and complimentary drinks they bring around)
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:33 PM

The Four Season Chiang Mai has the most beatiful grounds (pool included) of any hotel/resort I have ever stayed at......it was incredible. It's a little far out of town, however. Just came back from Chiang Mai and Bangkok -- the pool of the Oriental where we stayed was nicely situated, but we didn't have much time to use it. Maybe it's the jet lag, but what is the ROS?
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
ROS is the Royal Orchid Sheraton
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks, Laurie....I just read a few more posts and figured it out. Now that I have finally stayed in Bangkok, and seen the lay of the land --- a few more players figure into the hotel picture on the river. The Oriental was lovely, although we were upgraded to an incredible room in the original building -- the first room we were shown (superior river view) was pretty disappointing. Tiny room with a sliver of the river..... Before we went, it was between the Pen and the Oriental. I would still choose the Oriental -- the lobby of the Pen while beautiful could be anywhere in the world. But two of the hotels along the river looked terrific -- and maybe without the price tag that went with the Oriental -- The Sheraton and The Marriott.....Are they equal to the Pen and the Oriental?
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't stayed at the Sheraton or the Mariott, in fact, I haven't stayed at the Oriental either, but I have stayed at the Pen several times. I've been in the Oriental many times and a few times the ROS, (but not the Mariott), but based on what I've seen and what I read on this forum, neither the ROS nor the Mariott are up to the standards of the Pen and Oriental. Bob, who stays at the Mariott all the time, will be the first to tell you that the Mariott is a 4 star hotel, not 5 star. I believe the ROS has a 5 star rating but from what I've seen of their rooms, I wasn't impressed. Kathie says the tower rooms are quite nice though and have lots of perks. The ROS does have a nice pool and a very good Thai restaurant.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM

The Penisula has what amounts to two pools. Very nice and in my opinion the finest hotel I have ever stayed at. Rooms are magnificent.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM

I've also never stayed at either the Sheraton or Marriott but I don't think they compare to either the Penn or the Oriental. That doesn't mean they aren't good hotels or good value but they are not on the same level.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:22 PM

Sheraton Royal Orchid two pools right on the river. One has a swim up bar. No question it is the ROS.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM

Away from the river, everybody (especially locals) raves about the salt water pool at the Patumwan Princess (on top of MBK Center). The view is interesting, but probably doesn't compare to the river views at the other hotels.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:12 PM

I would vote for the Marriott Resort pool, especially for kids. I've stayed at the ROS and Shangri-La, but the grounds at the Marriott are so beautiful. We also stayed at the Conrad which has a very nice 7th floor pool. Its kind of like a smaller version of the Marriott. It also has a separate,large jacuzzi type pool. However, the main pool was rather cool when we were there. Not sure if it was due to the cloudy weather, late afternoon time, or windy from being on 7th floor.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:14 PM

As for Chiang Mai, we stayed at the Rachamanka-very peaceful, adult style pool. We visited the new Mandarin Oriental and that pool was fantastic- in the middle of the rice fields, with different levels, and not many people when we looked at it.