Bangkok Hotels

Search

Bangkok Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok Hotels

We have been planning to stay at the Davis during our trip to BKK in November, but have been told that the Rembrandt is more convenient among those two boutique hotel choices, but have also read several postings indicating that the hotels on the river are well worth the extra cost (I think the Sheraton on the River is posting 5000 bht which isn't a bad deal at all!).

Suggestions as to those or other similar choices there for five nights in town given proximity to sites, restaurants, shopping, transportation, great view, etc?

Another thought, particularly if we stay in town during our initial time in BKK, is that since we'll also have one final day/night in Bangkok on the way out and if we can always finish the trip at either the Oriental or Penninsula for the last night in town, although either of those is a little pricey for seven nights.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice would be most helpful...

Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I always stay by the river. For me it's what makes Bangkok Bangkok. I find it convenient, I can take water taxis to the wats and can take the hotel boat to the Skytrain station. Having the view of the river is great.

I always stay at the Sheraton Royal Orchid in the Towers. The upgrade to the towers puts you on the top few floors, includes breakfast, cocktails and canapes every evening and free laundry. There is both shopping (River City) and restaurants (Gallery, Harmonique, etc). The hotel has what I consider to be teh nicest pool area in Bangkok, located next to the hotel on the grounds of the Portuguese Embassy. It's lush and green, has a swim-up bar, and is quiet and private - guests don't walk through the swimming pool area unless they are there to swim.

The downside of the regular rooms is that they are rather dull, although all have full river views.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM

We've stayed in BKK many times. I highly recommend staying on the river. It is wonderfuyl to look out of the window and see the river come alive in the morning. The various ferries are an easy way to get around. BKK has no one place that has everything. You will probably take the Skytrain and many taxis. Therefore, the pleasant river is a nice retreat. We always stay at the ROS, however the Pen, O, Shangri-la and Marriott are also great. All are big hotels, but the service is good to great. From the ROS, you can actually walk to several nice restaurants, e.g., Harmonique, Tongue Thai and the Gallery Cafe.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM

I love staying on the river and wouldn't stay anywhere else. If you can't afford the Oriental or Penn then do consider the Sheraton which has a great location or even the Shangrila or marriott (latter is less convenient).
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 06:38 PM

i prefer to stay on the river...we actually find it a bit cooler there than in town...

we prefer either the penn or the marriott...

sheraton is ok, but it really is not very thai...it does have the 2nd best pool in bkk...marriott is #1...and you need them in bkk...

penn is perfect for y0ur last nite...their room service breakfast is fantastic---they provide it before 6AM if breakfast is included in your rate... check their website for specials...

try www.huahin.20m.com for hotel reates less expensive...
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM

I wouldn't call the Rembrandt a boutique hotel, and it's 10 minutes walk from the Skytrain, about the same as the Davis.

We also love the river hotels. The Shangri-La often has good prices for direct booking...their price on sawadee.com is very high. The Peninsula is our favorite, but I doubt you'll see it for under $200.00/night unfortunately. It might be a nice splurge though.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:10 AM

If you need the great hotel with about 100 dollars, you might consider : Davis Hotel which is convenience for you , that's really close to BTS. You can check it out from my favourite site :

http://www.hotelsguru.com/showhotel-9146.html#rate

The better one is Pan Pacific Hotel which is close to Sala Daeng BTS Station (Silom Area). I found it is only 183 USD.

http://www.hotelsguru.com/showhotel-9195.html
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM

I am currently in Bangkok on a 9-day vacation for shopping and seeing friends. I am staying in a serviced apartment building near the shopping area. It isn't along the river, but then I've not stayed along the river for several years. The Pen is my favorite riverside hotel.

The apartment building where I am currently staying is about 5 minutes walk to the skytrain. The price is just over $100 and includes breakfast. It's really a good deal, I think.

The place you select will be determined by the things you want to do during your stay in Bangkok. If it is your first time, stay along the river because of the ambience.

Carol
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:14 PM

The Davis is not close to the BTS. It's 15+ minute walk down busy Soi 24. If you chose to cab it, traffic can be backed up all the way down to the Seafood Market. Best to take a 2 minute motorbike taxi if your brave enough (only 20 baht).

If you are interested in the Sheraton, Starwood is running a promotion for free night stays. You can stay 3/pay 2 or stay 4/pay 3. They also have a book 6 nights/pay only 4. For me, I prefer the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Direct access to the Asoke BTS and Sukhumvit Subway.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...egory=GENDRE_H
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:54 PM

Bisbee gives a good recco and the Sheraton Suk is a great hotel in the midst of everything! Very good deal.

Aloha!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

This is great information!! Thinking now that either the ROS or the Marriott are probably our best choices - at least for our first stay in BKK. Maybe the Penn or the Oriental on the way back through.

Both the ROS and Marriott look very nice, convenient, reasonably priced, etc. I've read that the Marriott is on the "other" side of the river and that transportation issues with that can be somewhat of a pain - thoughts there?? Restaurants and bars nearby on that side of the water or does it matter??

Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:41 AM

The ROS is walking distance to a number of shopping venues as well as to a number of good restaurants. Taxis to various places are easy, no worry about bridge traffic. They have a boat that runs to/from the Skytrain (very important) The Marriott is farther down the river, not really in a shopping/eating area other than what Bob describes as a mini-mall. For some people, the Marriott's distance is a real issue, for others, they rather like that. I really depends on what you like. Also, consider whether you would find the longer boat ride a barrier to getting out and about.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM

If you stay at the Royal Orchid I'd go for the Tower wing -- kathy can tell you the specifics but it is definitely worth the small increase in price. I personally think the Royal Orchid's location makes it the preferable of the two but then I don't like to feel isolated -- like to be able to walk to places and you can't do that at the marriott. Others prefer the more resort feel of the Marriott. Really up to what is most important to you.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

At least for me, it's all about Location, Location, Location (and proximity...and comfort) - a tower room at the Sheraton sounds like the ticket to ride.

Hate that Bisbee's Starwood promotion won't work for us - we arrive on the wrong day of the week. Crazy!!

Many thanks for all the input. All of you have been a huge help!!

There will no doubt more questions as the trip gets closer, but we'll be drilling down to prioritizing sights and restaurants. I think this gives us a solid base of great hotels, flights, time with Tong (thank goodness!!) and a great cooking class in CM. It's going to be an amazing trip!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM

For Starwoods, you might see if you can pay cash for a day or two and then switch to Starwoods points. Check to see if they have the points and 1/2 rack rate deal going.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Good call - Kristen is Queen of the Starwood points (I just have US Airways miles), so when we chat, I'll get her to check on it. Thanks for the heads up!