Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Montien Riverside or Banyon Tree

Apr 18th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Down to final choices.. Montien Riverside (executive Floor) or Banyon Tree Hotel (the Club) whatever that gets you. Any input..I know they are a little Western in style but I want to be treated and where else can you be treated for these prices?
Karen
(thought about the Marriott but we are doing the Hyatt in Hua Hin and it seemed something different in the city was called for am I wrong?)
Apr 18th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Wow how did the Banyan Tree come up to be the same price as the Montien Riverside? They are different class hotels. Anyways I actually liked Montien Riverside better than Oriental last time I was at Bangkok. However, they still didn't compare to Peninsula. (View from Montien Riverside room is kind of boring)Never been to Banyan Tree
Apr 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM

I always recommend the area by the river, it's so much more pleasant than the concrete jungle. Certainly the Hyatt at Hua Hin and the Marriott in Bangkok are very different. Bob, who often posts here, loves the Marriott. It's farther up the river, and not as central as the Oriental, Shangria-La and the Royal Orchid. The Pen is on the other side of the river across from the Oriental.

I always stay in the Towers at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. The amenities you get with your room in the Towers include: flull breakfast, evening cocktails and canapes, 6 items of laundry per day per person for free, free internet access in the Towers Lounge, and your room is on one of the top floors, all with floor to ceiling river views. I find the prices for all of that quite reasonable (indeed, I always book a suite in the Towers). The Royal Orchid is right next to River City shopping center, and walking distance from a number of restaurants.

Sorry, I can't comment on the Montien Riverside. I just don't like the location of the Banyon Tree.
Apr 18th, 2004, 04:54 PM

The Montien Riverside location is poor. I like the Shangri-la because it is next to the Sky Train which is the best way to get around in the Bangkok traffic. It took us 40 minutes by cab to get to our restaurant (Cabbages & Condoms - great place to eat) and 10 minutes by Sky Train. Join Golden Circle Club on-line for discount rates and special deals for the Shangri-la.
Apr 18th, 2004, 06:13 PM

i guess i didn't do a good job in selling the marriotts to you....oh well, more room in the pool for me...you will like the hyatt in HH i am sure....

i can't believe that you are talking about the montien and the banyon tree in the same paragraph....as said above they are not equals in any way, IMHO...

i believe jamesA has often said that his firm puts people up in the montien in the suites and that they have been pleased with them especially for the price....

isn't the banyon tree about twice the price of the montien??
Apr 19th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

You are right...I don't get it either these are the choices coming from the travel agent. (this is the first time I have used one) I was leaning towards the Marriott when I read the nice things about the Sheraton New Orchid..and I was thinking Starwood points. Ok I am down to those two. Why do we drive ourselves so crazy? You look so forward to the trip and you want it to be perfect. I am driving my husband (and some of you crazy)
Thanks for all the words of wisdom I am booking neither the Montien or Banyon.
Karen
Apr 19th, 2004, 08:24 AM

please take one more look at the bkk marriott...it is a perfect family place...there are deals on some discount web sites....forget the travel agent!!
Apr 19th, 2004, 09:05 AM

two sites that i like are:

www.huahin.20m.com

www.aisavoyage24.com

hua hin is what jamesA frequently suggests...
Apr 19th, 2004, 11:04 AM

I would guess that you would be happy with either the Marriott Resort or the Sheraton Royal Orchid. Do some research on this board, as many people have commented about both hotels. Both are on the river, but in different locations.
Apr 20th, 2004, 04:43 AM

If you have sufficient Starwood points, I suggest the Royal Orchid. We've stayed there several times and think it's great. River City on one side, a ferry stop on the other.
Apr 20th, 2004, 07:29 AM

We are will be staying at the Royal Orchid using my Starwood points. If you take a regular award, you will not get the Towers room that Kathie raves about. I found out that for an additional 1,500 points per night, you can get the Towers room. If you have the extra points, it should be well worth it. Incidentally, we will also be staying at the Hyatt in Hua Hin. When are you going to be there?
May 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry hadn't gotten back to this thread we are going the end of July. My son is doing s teen tour then meeting us for the HH party of the trip. Just found out since I am booking through this agent can't use my Starwood points which is OK I will get more and use them here. I have never used a travel agent before but was looking for a golf vacation and since my son was already in Thailand we turned Thailand into a golf trip.
Karen
May 5th, 2004, 07:06 PM

have you checked out the orchid rates directly through starwoods...i have a jr suite for $75 in june (aarp rate on weekend)...they have AAA rates too