Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Shangri La, BKK -- have you & how was it?

Aug 5th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed in the Shangri La? Planning to go there in a weeek or so -- single delux balcony river view room.

thanks,
Craig
Aug 6th, 2004, 01:57 AM

Like all the riverside hotels the Shangri-La is excellent. It is massive with the additional wing that has its own reception etc. The lounge in the main wing is great with superb views over the river (here take afternoon tea or a long drink goes down a dream !). We found the service excellent and the food good. Try the Thai restaurant in the gardens for a lovely evening. The Italian restaurant and buffet near the main pool are also good. After a day in Bangkok it was a lovely place to come home to !!!
I am sure many people will recommend other hotels but take my word they are all of a high standard. Out ourselves on the 14th this month - here's to a good holiday !!!!
Aug 6th, 2004, 03:48 AM

Generally an excellent hotel, quite popular on this site, and part of the eternal "which is better the Penn, Shang or Oriental?" triangle. Personally it is a little too big and glitzy for me. I prefer the Penn as it is more understated and newer, or the Marriott Riverside for its large, lovely and shady pool area and quiet spot on the river. However, I don't think you would be disappointed. The Shang's pool area is nice, although I think the pools and pool area is small for the number of rooms.

As you have a balcony room, I believe you will be the "new" wing (which is at least 15 years old), make sure you get a room which is not too close to the bridge/highway overpass over the river, as rooms close to the bridge could be noisy.
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:54 AM

I've been in it but have never stayed there. It is definitely deluxe and I'm sure you will have a good experience. I find it too big and too cold but I prefer smaller hotels. My preference on the river is by far the Oriental but if you don't want to stay there I would vote for the Peninsula. Again, however, I am sure you will have a great time at the Shangrila.

Happy Travels!
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:55 AM

i stayed there twic last month and was pleased...stayed in a normal room, using pricline so it was undoubtably one of the lesser rooms...we only paid $65 and 55 respectively...

the room was fine...just a quality room..

MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT OVERLOOKING THE HIGHWAY/BRIDGE....i think it could be noisy and the view not the greatest...

join the golden circle club (on their web-site) to receive free buffet breakfasts (largest and about the best i have experienced in asia) and late check-out...

i prefer the shangri-la wing as it is nearer to everything except the sky train which is right next to the K wing...

the pool was very nice (one was closed in june for renovation--the K wing pool) but we found it noisy as the eqpt was right there next to the pool and ran constantly....i think if the hotel is full the pool area would not be sufficient...

this is a fine hotel that constantly makes the top 5 in bkk on all surveys...
Aug 6th, 2004, 01:26 PM

One trip, we did get a room near the bridge and it didn't seem that noisy, but maybe it was because we were so tired.

I prefer the "new" wing, as it is really close to the boat dock, and going on the river is so much more pleasant and faster than trying to cross town on land.
Aug 7th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

easytraveler, rhkkmk, glorialf, Cicerone & mike49,
Many thanks for the advice; I'll put in the effort to stay clear of the bridge when checking in.
Sounds like it will be a comfortable stay.
Likewise thanks for all of the past posts on BKK, I've read through them and they have been helpful.
In the past I have stayed with friends in BKK, but alas, they have moved on to Europe this year.

Best Regards,
Craig
Aug 7th, 2004, 06:23 AM

The deluxe balcony room is likely to be in the older wing on the end nearest to the river. The Older wing has a few balcony rooms on each floor.

It is almost certain that if you are stopping in the new wing the room type will be described as a "Krungthep Deluxe room". (All rooms are riverfacing and have balcony)

But don't be put off either way. The hotel is fantastic. Take the advice from an earlier poster about joining their frequent travellers club.