air asia baggage charges

Search

air asia baggage charges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air asia baggage charges

does anyone have experience with air asia baggage overcharges....specifically how much per kilo over your 15 kilo allowance...

i have called them in both malaysia and in thailand and i was cut off...

thanks

bob
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM

It used to be 80 baht per kg but they may have increased it slighty this year.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

i did find an answer thanks to a thai friend....its 165 B per kilo for overages...not the end of the world...
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:39 AM

You're both right. 80 Baht for the domestic excess baggage charge and 165 Baht for international flights operated by Thai Air Asia(flights with the code "FD&quot.

For your reference:

http://www.airasia.com/site/my/en/pa...=FeeScheduleFD

Where are you flying Air Asia to Bob?
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Just a warning - a few weeks ago someone from Air Asia said they were considering charging for ALL checked baggage. No final decision yet, so just be warned that things might change.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM

Think super budget airline with all the goods and bads...
We just returned from Thailand and found the baggage policy to be joke. Air Asia's 'everyone can fly' campaign is clealy designed for day trippers or light packing overnighters. My personal opinion is that is how they make their money; kind of a razor blade and razor model as we say tourist after tourist with a calculator shoved in their face while checking in. Our baggage of five tickets where over by 20Kg (15kg per ticket) and is over $50 USD which was close to the ticket price. While they weren't a bad airline, I would try to not fly them again; for U.S. residents, kind of a southwest without the service but with the extra charges.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:36 AM

Davez,

You didn't know that the weight limit is 15kg when you bought your tickets from Air Asia?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

even when you consider the baggage overages charges it is still a huge bargain....i have signed up for early boarding also which should help with the rush for seats ($10 extra)....i think their slogan is right on the money...hope the person next to me is not carrying on a chicken or a pig however

pook---we will fly them from bkk to singapore for about $75 each one way---on our way home actually....also from bkk to k/l and k/l to bali and bkk to phuket and back...huge savings....how bad can it be for short flights like these...
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:40 AM

rhkkmk,

"how bad can it be for short flights like these..."

I can hear laurieco laughing all the way over here in the middle of the Pacific, lol

The phrase "anything to save a buck" comes to mind

We are eagerly awaiting your trip report

Aloha!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Bob,

I fly them all the time as well especially for short distances. For longer flight I still prefer first class

Don't worry about chickens and pigs on the flight since you'll be with crying babies instead(because they will get to board early with you).

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Don't mind hawaiiantraveler comment
"anything to save a buck comes to mind" as he evidently has money to burn. Asia airlines is fine as long as you understand their baggage allowance and there are big bucks to be had by booking early when compared to non budget flights. Their delays and cancellations were a problem in the past but this has vastly improved.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM

For Bangkok to Singapore, I would choose Jet Star Asia, which I've found very pleasant. They have reserved seats and the last time I checked, Bangkok - Singapore was just $59. Their for-purchase in-flight food has even gotten good reviews.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Scotters, perhaps I should clarify that HT is joking with Bob. They know each other and they both know Laurico's story of her Air Asia disaster.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

i know that lady next to me will have both a screaming toddler with an ear ache and also a pet pig and maybe a few snakes....

karen calls me 'mr cheap'....i remind her that this is how we can go on so many trips...

bad news....we now have a laptop so i will be making almost daily additions to my trip reports....hope fodors does not cut me off....
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM

rhkkmk,

Be sure to snuggle up to the pig and kiss the snake on the lips for good luck and watch out for those flamenco dancers stepping on your toes, lol

I thought all retired investment bankers were filthy rich?

Aloha!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Okay I get it Kathie but anybody that does not know this will take it in the same manner as I did. A put down on people using budget airlines, hotels etc.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

If you're kissing snakes make sure it's really a snake and not something "slithering" on a man's lap.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:42 AM

I understand, Scotters, but wanted to clarify so you and others would know that isn't what the comment was about.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
HT, how right you are! Short flights can be a disaster if the time is changed by 11 hours by 11 hours and you are not told about it, even when you ask at the Air Asia counter at the airport a week early to confirm your upcoming flight and show them the paperwork saying the flight is at X time and they tell you confirmation is not necessary. Then when you get to the airport for that flight, you find out they decided to change the time 6 weeks earlier but no one bothered to let you know, EVEN AFTER YOU ASKED!!!!! And, to add insult to injury, finding out that the scales they used to weigh our luggage were set higher, in what seemed like an apparent effort to make a few extra bucks, and we know this because Air Asia weighed our bags, but when we were told the flight time had been changed, we ran around trying to get another flight to Penang and took Malaysian Air, and Malaysian Air's scales had our exact same luggage with no changes to it weighing in at several kilos less. Yes, it can be pretty bad. Sometimes a bargain just ain't worth it.