Air Asia Sale!!! Woohoo!

Dec 6th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Air Asia Sale!!! Woohoo!

In honor of the Kings birthday, Air Asia is having a sale and some flights are free except for taxes!

We just booked Bangkok to Chiang Mai round trip for 2 people for a total of 4,173 baht! That works out to be $50 per person for round trip.

Maybe this is typical for flights within Asia but it sure looks inexpensive to me!

Cheers!
Dec 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM

euro:
Ask Laurieco about Air Asia
Dec 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Uh oh! That doesn't sound good!
Dec 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM

there seems to be more delays now than when they first started. maybe i was lucky but the 4 times i used airasia there was one not very long delay.

on the other hand, i have had rather long delays with malaysian airlines a few times.

Dec 6th, 2005, 06:35 PM

that seems like their regular fare to me??? thai air is only slightly over $100 r.t. as i remember
Dec 6th, 2005, 06:46 PM

how does this airline compare to thai air and bangkok air?
Dec 6th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Air Asia is a no frill airlines that has the tendency to have late flights. As long as you are not making a tight flight connection you will be fine. Note the baggage allowance is 15kgs and any excess is 80 baht per kg.
The $50 return rate per person you got is good when compared to fares from Thai Air of $133 and Bangkok Air of $110.
Dec 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Bob, if you reread my post you will see that it was $100 for TWO people, round trip!

I am very please with this fare and since we are not on any kind of connection I will take the chance!
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:45 AM

eurotraveller, a couple of things about Air Asia. First, they frequently have flights from BKK to CM for 499 Baht each way (that works out to $12.50 each way so the $50 round trip isn't such a good price for Air Asia)

Second, I had a truly horrible experience with them and will not fly them again. We had booked flights from Kuala Lumpur to Penang with Air Asia and when we got to the airport, they told us the flight had been changed and was leaveing 11 hours later. Mind you, this was not a delay but a planned change in schedule that apparently they knew about weeks earlier but never bothered to let me know about. What really annoyed me is that a weekearlier, I asked to confirm the flight wand was told there was no need! This could have really ruined our vacation considering we only had a coulple of nights in Penang and now wouldn't get there until 10pm, instead of 11am, as was originally scheduled. And to make things worse, they didn't want to give us a refund for the flights. I had to make a scene, something I hate to do, especially in Asia, but eventually did get refunds (which I'm still waiting for on my credit card by the way). I can't trust an airline that would change a flight by 11 hours and not take any responsibility for it. Some people would say and airline cannot possibly let people know but I don't by that, especially since Air Asia has so few flights to each destination so the amount of people to notify is small. Even American Airlines, with all of their problems, manage to email me when there is a 10 minute change in schedule. Air Asia had my email so there was no excuse for me finding out when I got to the airport and then having to scramble to buy tickets on another airline.
Dec 7th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Laurico, I did find you experience posted on another thread. Too bad you had a bad experience.

When flying a foreign carrier I am proactive in checking the flight status but I know that is not always possible if you are out traveling.

I used to work for an airline and I know that once someont gets it in their head that it is a terrible airline they will never change their mind about that airline.

I always consider that these airlines have 100's of flights a day and some of them may have issues.

We actually had one flight that is 1,050 and the other is free so the price you are talking about looks like it could be the same, right? Ours INCLUDED all the taxes.

Dec 7th, 2005, 03:58 PM

eurotraveller, if you think you got a great deal for your tickets no worries. My guess that your flight is for the middle of the week when it's cheapest. I've been checking on Air Asia occasionally and have found that as it gets closer to the weekend the fares are definitely NOT worth the money as they can and do cost more than a regular airline.
Dec 7th, 2005, 05:51 PM

You do have to watch for the add on taxes and other charges, these add up.

Nok Air 'Plus' service give you 2 x 2 seating in standard Business Class seats with extra legroom, 30 kgs baggage allowance etc etc, it is usually B 500 ( $ 12.50 ) extra each way and in my opinion a 'bargain'.

Dec 7th, 2005, 07:08 PM

James did you see Air Asia birthday sale bargains. Example fly Bangkok to Chiang Mai and return for taxes/extras of only 482 each way or around $24. These fares are good from Feb 7 to Oct 10 but have to be booked by Dec 28. Not all days have this rate so you must be flexible. The funny thing is that if If you book a return ticket to Chiang Mai (or other places) you will get one way at taxes/extras only and the return flight at the lowest fare for that day plus taxes/extras. However if you book one-way only (BK/CM and CM/BK) the fares will be both based on taxes/extras only. I like Nok over the other two discount airlines but for these prices at Air Asia it is no contest
Dec 7th, 2005, 09:45 PM

i'd just booked KL-Bali round trip for 2 person for a total of $100! Actually less than tat, but still it's cheap. Free flights except for taxes ...
tis sort of promo from air asia is only available for a very short window period, so bargain-hunters really do need to get glued to their PC looking for one solid bargain!
No frills but delays do happen wit Air Asia.