Air Asia or Nok Air?

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Asia or Nok Air?

Hi-
I need to book 2 R/T tickets BKK-Phuket for April.
The prices are almost identical on Air Asia and Nok Air (Thai is quite a bit more).
So, given the prices are the same which would be the better choice?
I've read good and bad about both, so it's hard to choose.
Anyone have experience with both? What would you recommend?
Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:25 PM

At the present moment I would opt for Air Asia since Nok Air did have a couple of mishap(accidents) in the past few months and I'm concern about their safety and maintenance record. I think Air Asia will have more flight as well so that could be another reason to fly them.

Both are quite strict on the weight allowance for checked luggages but the extra weight charge is only around 80 baht per kilo.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:31 PM

I agree, although Nok Air are nice, especially the Nok Plus service they only have a couple of planes, Thai Air asia has many more aircraft so more flights.
Do remember that baggage allowance 15 kgs, they are all very strict on that.
Thai however is officialy 20 kgs but they are very very easy going on that and 30 kgs have never been a problem.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with Air Asia this time.
Hopefully, the weight won't be an issue. We always travel carry-on now anyway, and even if we have to check them for Air Asia, they shouldn't be too heavy.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:14 AM

We just returned from BKK and made six legs with Air Asia. Overall (once we recovered from the shock of the low weight baggage allowance) we were very pleased with the newness of the planes,and the on time service. Out of the six legs we had only one delay BKK- Phuket and I think that was because of thunderstorms in the area. I do recommend phoning to confirm before each flight, just in case they decide to change the flight time.
Every other flight actually took off early and arrived early. Once they fill up (and fill up they do) off they go.
Enjoy Phuket - we had a fabulous week at the Marriott Resort in a fantastic villa. Hmm wish we were back there now.
Sue
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Well, I just booked and paid for our flights on Air Asia. $90 per person R/T to Phuket.

I did have a bit of a scare however. After I clicked on "confirm", I waited as instructed. Then I got an error message saying that my seats had been sold out and were no longer available. I'd have to call Malaysia to confirm and I should not book again to avoid being double booked.

But then, I got an email confirmation with my e-ticket attached as a PDF. It all looks good and I'll wait and see if my card has been charged.

Sue-glad to hear of your good experiences with them!