swiss international air experiences?

Jul 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

swiss international air experiences?

Hi.
I am about to embark tomorrow on SIA and it looks promising. Other reviews that I have read elsewhere have been favorable.

Have any of you flown SIA?

Thanks.
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM

Terrible airline, using old equipment, aweful food, FA are never smiling, and they absolutely HATE any English-speaking passengers....

...So now, what are you gonna do, CANCEL YOUR FLIGHT?

btw, just joking.... They're one of the best among the European airlins.
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:43 AM

I'm flown them on the Geneva/JFK route already and I didn't have much complaints. I should have been upgraded but the idiots at the gate didn't do it so for the entire flight I was thinking about those gate people and how I hated Swiss. I really didn't remember much from the flight though as my mind was elsewhere.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM

Bummer venusfan. I was upgraded and it was a great experience. Swiss is my favorite European airline that I've flown.
Aug 8th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Not sure which route you'll be flying,(I usually fly within Europe and to/from Israel), but generally they're efficient and practical. Not oozing with personal charms like some Asian airlines, but FAs are courteous compared to US carriers. I also find their hubs in Zurich and Geneve to be quite efficient both in terms of making connections and for getting to central part of town. The best bit is that you can check your luggage from Swiss train stations a day beforehand (not sure if you can do this for US-bound flights, though). Oh, also you're very lucky if FAs go around serving Movenpick icecream mini-cups.
Having said that, their aircrafts seem slightly older and in-flight entertainment systems are not the best.
Aug 8th, 2007, 09:11 AM
P_M

I flew from Zurich to Venice. During this one hour flight I was served a sandwich, champagne and Swiss chocolates. And I was flying coach!! No complaints here.
Aug 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM

SIA is the usual abbreviation for Singapore, not Swiss, airlines. But I guess it's moot as letour's flight was a week ago.
Aug 9th, 2007, 01:12 AM

Swiss flight code is LX.
Aug 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM

I have flown Swiss a few yrs ago when they were still code-sharing with Delta in Business Elite. I have to say that it had been one of the best flight experiences I have ever had.
Aug 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Was Delta ever partner with the current Swiss International (formed from Crossair after the collapse of Swissair)?

Because I know Swiss International (LX) was a partner with AA before selling to Lufthansa and becomes a Star Alliance member.
Aug 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Yes, they formed a partnership in the early 90s.
Aug 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Mamamia - That's what I mean. Swissair ceased operation in October of 2001. The new Swiss International is not the same company, but was formed from Crossair, Swissair's then domestic/regional partner.

The DL partnership was with Swissair, not the current Swiss International.
Aug 10th, 2007, 12:01 AM

My apologies, yes it was with Swissair, however, would not surprise me if it is still the same FAs.
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I'm not sure how the ownership of the airline has changed. but i flew Swiss from Washington (IAD) to Zurich. At checkin I was informed that my seat would have to be changed...to business class. The experience was generally excellent!

The other legs of the trip I was not so lucky scoring a free upgrade, but the seats were fairly comfortable, food was good and in flight service was polite and helpful.
Aug 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Flew LHR-Zurich-lax a few years back in Economy.

Short haul OK basic service - cheese with everything, yuck

Long Haul - seats caused real bum ache after a short while, very tempremental IFE, 2 meals - one pretty reasonable, one very basic.

Not bad overall, and we paid a very good price
Aug 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM

They are a four star airline compaired to those 3 star U.S. international airlines.