Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Has Cathay rolled out their new fixed seats in economy

Jun 27th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

and if so, have you tried them? Of course, if they haven't been rolled out, this will be a hard question to answer.

It wasn't clear on their website if they were in use yet. We're booked with a OneWorld award to HKG on CX, then on to Australia and back to the US on Qantas this fall. It appears we'll be on the new configuration then.

The photos of the new seats kind have us wondering if you feel like you're slouched in your seat for 15 hours or if it really feels like a reclining seat. Thoughts?
Jun 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM

They have not been installed yet. First planes to have them should be CX's new 777-300ER, which will first be put on HKG-JFK.

Not sure when Australia will get those planes. Retrofit of the current fleet will come later.

One of their current 747-400s have got new first and business class seats, but not the new coach. [And the herringbone business class is widely criticized.]
Jun 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - it's hard to tell where they are with all that. I don't follow the airline news too much.

The reason we thought that they had the new seating rolled out is that the seat selection tool on the CX website for our LAX-HKG flight, CX883, on Nov 17th, has the economy section starting at row 36. The seating charts for the "standard" seating show the econ section starting at row 30 on the 744, while the new "premium" chart shows economy starting at row 36 like we were seeing.

Must be one of those that are outfitted in the front but not in the back. Would have been nice for the video, but not sure I was sold on the new seats anyway. They still look like you'd be slouching more than leaning back.
Jun 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM

CX long has two configurations of 744. Four planes called 74J (or 747-400 Premium, as CX calls in on its website) has Y starting at Row 36. This is not a new configuration.
Jun 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for clarifying that. It's our first flight with them and are not familiar with their terms. "Premium" had a whole different connotation in my head! Live and learn. At least I generally know what's going on with Qantas, so that part won't be a mystery.