Flying to Israel and India

Sep 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Flying to Israel and India

My wife will meet me in India after spending a week in Jerusalem. We both want to leave from NY or MIA.
We will return to the US from India together.
My wife's choices from Israel to India are limited because she would prefer a non-Middle East airline, including Turkish Airlines.
We realize that it would a lot cheaper go by Turkish Airlines or another Middle East Airline but she doesn't mind backtracking to Europe including through Switzerland, Austria, Germany, England or even Russia or Ukraine.
It would also be much cheaper for her to go through Amman, Jordan but she is hesitant to do this by herself. Has anyone out there, especially Jewish women, done this?
I will probably go to India via Europe, starting with the first leg of her trans-Atlantic trip.
I realize that we could do it by El Al with the fewest stops, but I'd prefer not to pay $3000 or more. (More like $1500-2000 for her trips).
We both have US passports.

Any ideas?
Sep 6th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Seems like you can get open-jaw ticket for EWR-TLV/India-EWR at a reasonable price on Continental. I punch in some random dates in Nov for EWR-TLV/DEL-EWR, and its priced at around $1,200 r/t. Which is similar to EWR-TLV or EWR-DEL roundtrips for similar dates.

For TLV-India, no idea where in India you're going, but I see Austrian having semi-decent price via VIE (about US$1,000 one-way), though with a long layover.
Sep 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM

I have flown Egyptair,Royal Air Maroc and Turkish Airlines in the last couple years and have found them all to be fine(I actually work for a major US airline).I would strongly try to convince your wife to use the fastest and less expensive way to get to India rather than going backwards through Europe.
The Amman airport is very new and nicely laid out so she would have no difficulties being by herself-they were friendly to everyone there!
Sep 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Assuming that Middle-Eastern airlines are still off-limit, one possible airline to get from TLV to DEL (assuming that's where you'll be in India) is Uzbekistan Airways. They fly from TLV to Tashkent (TAS) 4 times a week, and TAS to DEL 3 times. You can download their timetable to see if it may work or not:

http://uzairways.com/UserFiles/Image/pdf/timetable.pdf

It is much shorter route than going through Europe, distance-wise.
Sep 6th, 2011, 09:10 PM

I have any number of acquaintances (some Jewish, some not) who've transited Amman airport and none have reported any difficulties whatsoever. Royal Jordanian is a quality carrier, and Amman airport is easy to navigate. If she took the evening departure from Ben Gurion (some days have two flights, others one) she'd just lay over at AMM for 1h 45m before continuing on to Delhi. It's by far the fastest and most convenient route.
Sep 7th, 2011, 12:42 AM

Have to agree about ME airlines - most of them are run as flag fliers for the government so good service (well better than US airlines) is the norm - and the flight with Royal Jordanian from Amman is less than 6 hours - you could easily spend 4 hours just getting to a "European" airport.
Sep 7th, 2011, 06:09 AM

cheapest flights to TLV are usually rissian or ukranian

out of NYC... might play around on www.cheapoair.com

www.farecompare.com for best options...

NYC departures for both almost always cheapest

airlinequality.com for airline ratings infos.
Sep 8th, 2011, 04:26 AM

Qwo, do you ever read the previous messages?