Has anyone visited the Maldives in conjunction with an India trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling from the US to India in Sept or Oct of '05 for the first time.
The Maldives really are calling me,though. Can they be done on the same trip? I have four weeks and would like to spend one there. Imaginative Traveller has very inexpensive laid back seven day cruises that sound wonderful.
I would like to spend the rest of the month in northern India. Does anyone have any thoughts on this plan or alternative suggestions? I have spent the last few months on the Europe board planning a month (February) in Italy,which has been great fun. Now I'd like to get to know all of you geniuses!
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 08:33 PM

It's funny, because I was just looking up Imaginative Traveller's website a few minutes ago as I am starting to plan where to go in 2005..We took an Imaginative Traveller tour to India just last month (North India)..Thinking about Kerala and then adding on the Maldives for our next trip..I have not started to research flights, but it can be done..Just not sure what airline....
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Hi Massagediva. Maldives and India are very doable together. As a matter of fact proximity works in your favour in terms of travel time saved. In north India I can suggest Delhi (shopping, sightseeing, fine dining), Agra (the Taj, Agra Fort, Fatehpur Sikri), Rajasthan (Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Udaipur), Ranthambore (wildlife). In 3 weeks you can set a comfortable pace. Go to the Indian Airlines and Jet Airways sites to take a look at their travel passes which are really very cost effective. If you go Sept you could also cosnider going to Leh wich is an enchanted place. I think it closes by Oct.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 10:31 PM

We combined India and the Maldives last year and thought it a good mix.

We flew to Male from Trivandrum in Kerala, as Kerala was the last stop on our Indian journey.

The airpasses won't cover the trip from India to Maldives, as it is International.

We flew Indian Airlines to the Maldives. Flight was fine.

Coming back we flew Air Seychelles non-stop Maldives to Delhi. Last year that flight only went once a week. We made our plans around using it as it saved us a huge amount of time and money. It started in Mahe (Seychelles), then went to Male (Maldives), then to Delhi. We had to book over the phone in the UK - Air Seychelles is a small airline which had no online res at the time. We were impressed with both the plane and the service.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,folks for your replies. I was feeling completely out of my element there!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM

We just did Northern India (Agra, Delhi, Rajastan, and Ranthambore) for 2 weeks and then did 1 week in the Maldives. Very doable and a great mix (sightseeing and adventure in India and beaches and relaxing in the Maldives). Another route to the Maldives in on Sri Lankan air. Sri Lankan air is partially owned by Air Emirates and is a very nice airline. We flew from Delhi to Colombo, Sri Lanka and then on the Male. On our way back, we stopped for a day trip in Colmobo, which was fun.

Also, if you are going to do Northern India, I recomend going in October (which is after the monsoon season). If you go in September, you may have a few rainy days. Enjoy the trip.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 05:06 PM

We hear that bleaching has ruined 25-50% of the higher coral heads and fans for snorkelers but the diving is still very good. We are avid snorkelers. Is what I read in National Geographics and Nature correct re: bleaching whereby the fish have to go deeper to eat and snorkelers suffer for they need 5-20 ft.depths?
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:01 PM

I'm snorkler and a diver and thought both were excellent. We stayed at the Four Seasons at Kuda Hurra and took a snorkling and diving excursion through the hotel. In some ways, I enjoyed the snorkling excursion more because we happen to see better things including dolphins, manta ray, and an eel.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 08:06 PM

Hi,

I am actually planning on combining a trip to India with the Maldives in January as well. We will be spending 3 weeks in India and 4 days in the Maldives.

If you are streched for time, and plan on using Bombay as your base, I would recommend using Sri Lankan Air over Indian Airlines. Indian Airlines only has 1 or 2 flights to the Maldives per day from Trivandrum, while there are multiple flights a day from Colombo to the Maldives.

But depending on your schedule, you might want to stop off in Kerala anyways (our trip was strictly limited to Northern India and Bombay).

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM

we just returned at the end of November from a 3 week india and maldives trip. it is very doable, and i would highly recommend it! our base was new delhi and we flew to the maldives from trivandrum. i would be happy to provide you with any details or answer any questions.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Snapple. I'd love to hear all about it! How did you arrange the airfare/how much was it? What was the weather like? Do you feel it was the best time to go weatherwise? I've spent the last four years planning Italy trips, so I'm spoiled by all the ready information. The photos of the Maldives really seduce me,so I'm sure it's worth the extra investigative work!I'm planning on taking a seven day cruise,so I don't need info on hotels.