Best way to book flights in India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone booked internal flights in India directly? What is the best way to do this? Any comments on the most reliable airlines in India would also be great. Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 08:05 AM

The two main airlines in India are Air Sahara and Jet Airways. The latter especially is a world-class airline. Go to their site and see if they have any packages (http://www.jetairways.com).

For completeness, there is also the govt-run Indian Airlines, and the private budget carrier Air Deccan. My recommendation is that you stick with Jet Airways.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Just to add of possible interest that Jet Airways plan to be flying daily from Mumbai to NYC this year, plus they are adding flights to Singapore and plan KL and Bangkok so if travel plans from East Coast included India plus S.E Asia they are probably a very good choice. I have never flown them but they seem to be doing very well indeed.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM

I think the Indian Airlines [govt run] has an offer of some 10 trips for INR 60,000 or something....not sure of any of the values, but you might want to check that out if you're planning a lot of air travel in India.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 05:06 AM

We just returned from 3 weeks in India and used all 3 domestic airlines. I prefer Jet Airways (although, in the airport in Varanasi while waiting on my Sahara flight to Delhi, I observed that one of their flights from Varanasi to Delhi was "cancelled" and combined with a later flight) but Sahara and India Airlines were all fine. Flying on any airline in India is SO much better than the train!!!
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for replies thus far. Are the internal India flights generally on time, or should we be prepared for regular delays/cancellations? In particular, it would be helpful to know if we should plan to return to Delhi the night before our international flight home (the int'l flight is at night, so we could in theory not fly back into Delhi until that morning, but perhaps a bad idea to risk it if cancellations/delays are common).
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 06:27 AM

There is a problem with fog in Delhi especially in the early morning and late evening. I would not book my internal and international flights on the same day even if there are many hours between them. Flights get cancelled and diverted. Almost all hotels will provide a late checkout if you request it, BTW.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 09:08 PM

www.airdeccan.net charges in rupees and even though they regularly delay flights, they are so cheap, if you've got the time! If I could afford Jetairways, I would fly them all the time-not doubt about them-they are a first class airline, however they are expensive and chrge foreigners in US$.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Sorry, I should have added that I bought two Air Deccan flights using my credit card on their website with no hassles and one flight with jetairways, no problems! I tried to book a flight on Indian Airlines website but gave up!Good luck!
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Jet Airways appears to have a "Visit India" airpass that comes in several forms (7-day, 15-day, 21-day). Have any of you booked this pass, and if so were you able to do this on the web or did you need to use a travel agent outside of India?
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 10:26 AM

WinterTravel,
I briefly looked at these passes but decided that no one airline had all the routes and/or flight times that I was interested in. I used Amadeus.net for researching flights and times. We didn't purchase any tickets until we needed them in India, but I had printed off and took with me all the information on all of the flights we might want to take. We purchased tickets as needed at airports, hotel travel desks, or tourist agencies in India. Airline tickets were never a problem for us.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 11:21 AM

If you are traveling in the peak season (Nov 15 - Jan 15), it is a good idea to book all the internal flights in advance, else you run the risk of being stranded without a ticket.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM

I think you are going to realize that flying is not going to improve your chances of having a relaxing vacation in visiting Delhi, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Udaipur and back to Delhi in 14 days. It is too much in too little time. Why are you not considering Agra and the Taj Mahal in your itinerary???
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

We've been to Agra previously, so that's why it is not on this itinerary. Thanks to all on the flight info!