Booking flights from US to NZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the process of looking at flights from New York to Auckland NZ for the Christmas period this year. I put the dates in on Google Flights and there is a flight that would work leaving Dec 18th returning Dec 30th. It is a code-share United Air NZ flight. What is puzzling me is that if it is booked through United the fare is $ 2504 US, if booked through Air NZ it is $ 3217US. It does look like an Air NZ flight from San Francisco rather than an actual Unitled flight. Why is there such a difference in price, anyone know?
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 03:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know United / Air NZ - but I've seen this sort of thing with other airlines. Maybe Air New Zealand has sold out of the cheaper fare class. Plus different airlines do have different fares/fare strategies.

I'm not an expert and maybe on of the other more frequent fliers will have a better answer for you -- but like I said I've seem similar lots of times when searching for flights.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 04:33 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Airline pricing structures baffle me to no end, so I can't shed any light nelsonian.

United only flies seasonally from the US to Auckland, but I doubt that has any bearing on the fares you're finding.

Christmas usually means higher fares, as you well know.

Keep your eyes open for Air NZ specials - we scored Premium Economy tickets on Air NZ several months ago for our upcoming flights from COS-SFO-Auckland-Queenstown, then returning from Christchurch - $1,800 each.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Melnq I think there is always a sale around Black Friday, but doesn't seem to apply over Christmas period. Actually the reason DD and SIL are coming home then is for DD's grandmother's 90th birthday which os on 22nd December, so does fit in with being home for Christmas but it is expensive!!!! I rather generously to pay half when we first started talking about it a few months ago.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 05:36 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
I don't know United / Air NZ - but I've seen this sort of thing with other airlines. Maybe Air New Zealand has sold out of the cheaper fare class. Plus different airlines do have different fares/fare strategies.

I'm not an expert and maybe on of the other more frequent fliers will have a better answer for you -- but like I said I've seem similar lots of times when searching for flights.
The reason usually has to do with the specific booking codes the airlines use. When an airline allows another airline fo "code-share" on its flights, the non-flying airline usually is limited as to what specific booking classes (designated by letters like "W" or "K" - and these vary from one airline to another) they're allowed to use when selling the operating airline's seats. So you're probably running into a situation where the United flights are being put into a higher-priced "fare bucket" when Air NZ is selling the ticket. (It could be the other way, too.)

Don't try to out-think the airlines on this; unless you're a Hogwarts graduate you'll never figure out the mysteries of airline revenue management algorithms.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo. So booking with United should make no difference to the service, it is still basically an Air NZ flight. I know they are United flights to San Francisco and same on the way back from Chicago. It is the 13-15 hour flights I am concerned about.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 07:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>So booking with United should make no difference to the service, it is still basically an Air NZ flight.<<. Not to worry, no 'basically' about it - once you are at the airport there will be no difference at all. Many if not most international flights are code shared.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the flights on Expedia and be sure that the leg from SFO to AKL says "operated by Air New Zealand." under details.

I can only guess that United is discounting the NYC to SFO leg.