Cheap Flights Within New Zealand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upon my arrival in Auckland, we are turning right around and want to fly to either Nelson or Christchurch. I already have my Air New Zealand tickets for the back and forth from the states, so can't tack on via those tickets. These would be purchases seperately. Anyone had any luck securing these types of air tickets? I was also hoping to get from Dunedin back up to Auckland at the end of my South Island trip.
Thanks a ton!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I posted this on another thread - it might be worth a look:

http://www.attitudetravel.com/newzea...wcostairlines/
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM
GP

Hi TravelBug16

I purchased my internal flights on the Air New Zealand web site. My flights in the middle of December 2006 for two from Auckland to Dunedin, then from Queenstown via Christchurch to Nelson and Nelson to Aukland each about a week apart, cost a total of $800 US (400 each). Which I think is pretty fair as a one way flight from my house in Eureka Ca. to San Francisco runs about $365

Have Fun
GP
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I also used the ANZ website to purchase my domestic NZ tickets without any problem, and the fares were all reasonable. (I'm going in two weeks.)

I used the "multi-city" option to book 3 flights (4 with the connection): from Auckland to Wellington, from Wellington to Queenstown via Christchurch, and another from QT back to Auckland. The total for all flights was a little over $400 US. (Same price whether booked separately or together, but booking them together was easier, so I could pay just once.)
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 09:26 AM

We are flying Queenstown to Auckland on Qantas in December. NZD 157.30 each. Booked on Qantas New Zealand site. Cheaper than Air NZ.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:30 AM

I just wanted to add that the Qantas fares also tended to be a little cheaper for each flight that I wanted, but I went with ANZ because it offered more flights at better times for me. I was surprised that Qantas was a bit cheaper (although usually just a few dollars).
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM
GBC

We flew out of Dunedin to Wellington on Air New Zealand - no troubles. Booked on the website from the USA. Very reasonable. Also, very easy. When checking your luggage be sure to mention that you arrived ANZ from the USA. PS..that happens to be a very pretty flight. If you use it, ask for seats on the left side.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton, this helps a lot. We are trying to jam in as much as posssible so flights back and forth seems like a major time-saver. I've checked out Air NZ and it doesn't look like they fly into Nelson. Unless I'm missing something. I was thinking of doing flight from Auckland to Nelson, driving down to Christchurch, cutting over to Greymouth and essentially following the ocean around back to Dunedin where I would catch a flight back to Auckland. At least that's today's version of my itin
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Hi Travel Bug

Air NZ has about 15 - 16 flights a day to Nelson from Auckland. Qantas does not fly there. Origin Pacific has 2-3 flights a day

http://www.innovata-llc.com/nz/defau...countrycode=NZ

http://www.originpacific.co.nz/Reser...ghtSearch.aspx

I hope this helps
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I just checked the ANZ site and as Kiwi_acct says, they definitely fly nonstop from Auckland to Nelson many times a day (or you can connect through Wellington). The super-saver fare is as low as $128 NZ one-way.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

$128NZ isn't bad at all. That might be the route I take.
Either that or my wife brought up hopping a quick flight from Auckland to Wellington in the morning, then taking the cruise over to Picton, enjoying the scenery on the way, then spending night 1 in Picton.
Dang this itinerary is hard