Why no domestic Air NZ for foreigners?

Oct 13th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Why no domestic Air NZ for foreigners?

We are traveling to NZ in about a week and tried to book domestic flight from Auckland to Christchurch and were told that the cheap fares of $71.11 NZD were only for residents of NZ. Called them and were told we had to pay $639 USD! The very nice woman on the line in NZ told us that since Americans always carry excess baggage, they have to pay more! Went to the Qantas site and bought ticket for $180 USD per ticket--no problem. Can anyone explain this? We are really at a loss over this one.
Oct 13th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

This is Debbie's husband speaking. I must have said the wrong thing, so I take the blame for erroneous info in her post. The cheapest Qantas airfare between Christchurch and Auckland (which we purchased) is actually NZD$80 per ticket, which translates into about US$47.54. Our main gripe is that Air New Zealand wouldn't let us book a domestic flight on the New Zealand site, while Qantas had no problem selling us tickets on the New Zealand site. Hope this clarifies things.

Mark
Oct 14th, 2003, 12:41 AM

Well I have booked domestic flights on Air NZ's web site without a problem. We received tickets in the form of an Acrobat file and printed them out. At the time, I was a bit apprehensive as to how they would work, but it all worked out fine.

OK, I am a Kiwi, my wife isn't, but there was no way that Air NZ could know that.

The really cheap flights are hard to get, I remember finding on and by the time I had checked the date against our itinerary it had gone.
Oct 14th, 2003, 04:04 PM

I recently had a different experience. I purchased domestic tickets on-line from Quantas, and then after a week found out they would not send them to me because we have a US address! They said they could not mail them out of the country because the cheap fares are for NZ only. After a lot of hassle, they agreed to let us pick up the tickets at the Auckland airport. They were a LOT cheaper than Air NZ!
Oct 15th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

How strange! My husband just purchased Qantas tickets for passage from Auckland to Queenstown and from Christchurch to Auckland online. It was clear that we had a U.S. mailing address. No problem as far as Qantas was concerned. They just e-ticketed us.

(Sorry if this posted twice)
Oct 15th, 2003, 09:47 PM

We bought extremely cheap Air NZ domestic tickets a few months ago from the US and had no problems. Booked them on the NZ website and got etickets after calling twice to check that we would be allowed to board the plane with the tickets even though we were US citizens (the fare restrictions said NZ residents only). No problems whatsoever when we used the tickets, even using our US passports as ID. Just be aware if using these tickets that you are limited to 20 kg per person checked baggage (much less than international flights allow).
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Hi Redfeam:

This past Saturday we flew from Wellington to Auckland using e-tickets I bought on Air New Zealand's web site and had no problems (purchased as e-tickets, billed to my credit card & was e-mailed the tickets as Acrobat/PDF files.

Since our return flight to Canada (via LA) left Auckland at 5pm, I'd thought that flying back to Auckland would save time over driving & at $170nzd ) it was less than hanging onto our rental car for the extra couple of days. $85nzd/ticket including taxes when I bought them in August, could have gotten for $75nzd each if we left 90 minutes later but that would have made our Auckland connection a little tight if anything went wrong - but cheapest fare would have been over $300nzd if I booked via their 'Canadian' site

As for luggage, we were allowed 20kg (44lbs) each (& $5nzd per extra kg) but Air New Zealand allows you to 'merge' the total when traveling together, while my bag was over 20kg (so tagged as heavy) our total was only 37kg so didn't have to pay extra.

BTW - when I read the 'NZ domestic' reference Air New Zealand web site I'd assumed that the fares were for 'domestic' travel only & not for NZ citizens only (as we are both Canadians on our first trip to NZ), but we had no problem with these low cost fares.

Hope this helps.

Z