Search

Air NZ domestic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air NZ domestic

This morning, Nov 19, I left Sky Tower in Auckland on the Airbus for the airport at 6:45 AM. I had checked my itinerary two nights ago (the day I arrived in NZ) and saw that my departure was at 8:40 AM.

I was surprised when I saw that time because I thought that the departure was at 7:50-something, but figured my confusion was due to jet lag.

I was pleased with myself for leaving that far in advance of the flight when advised that I could leave between 7AM and 7:30.

The Airbus arrived at the AKL domestic terminal at 7:25. I got in the premium check-in line and got to the counter at 7:30. The agent asked if I was on the 7:55 or 10-something flight. I told him the 8:40 flight. There is no 8:40 flight, he said, I was booked on the 7:55 flight. Only 25 minutes now to departure!

No worries! He tagged my bag, which had to be checked in, handed me a boarding pass, and told me that boarding starts in 10 minutes.

I go down to the end of the terminal to the entrance to the gates. The system is that you wait outside the "secure area" until your flight is called. Then you show your boarding pass to the lady and she scans it.

I thought that she was going to tell me to throw out my coffee, but she just said I needed to put a lid on it. After doing so, I passed her and went through the doors to the secure area and proceeded past several gates to the one for my plane.

I didn't go through a metal detector. Didn't have to remove my sweater or shoes, no x-ray. Didn't have to toss out my coffee. Just walk up to the plane and get on.

It was a 19-seat Beechcraft bound for TUO. Maybe they have more security for bigger planes - ones that are more effective weapons.

NZ is a green and lumpy land. Caught a nice 5 lb rainbow trout today.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

on-time ARRIVAL was 8:40 AM.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 02:45 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, I love NZ!

I was on an Air NZ flight from Dunedin to Christchurch several years back and guess what? NO security. None, nada, zippo. We walked right from the check in counter into the departure lounge. Big plane.

I was also on an Air NZ flight once with NZ's PM, Helen Clarke. She sat right across the aisle from us. I felt very safe.

Man, I love NZ! It's like a blast from the past, a time warp, a kinder, gentler, time.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Jed

A few years ago, on a flight from DUD to CHC to ROT, my wife's small scissors for knitting was confiscated in CHC. Go figure!
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM

Couple of years ago I flew Air New Zealand from Queenstown to Rotorua and had to go through regular security.

I also flew QANTAS from AKL to SYD and it was the same thing.

Old Nov 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

The TUO airport terminal is almost as big as my neighbor's house. The one gate lead into building where there were Avis and Hertz counters and another counter, each staffed by one person.

Three strides and you have crossed through to the front of the terminal standing in front of the taxi. Not "a taxi", as one of many, but the one shared-van taxi that was there to meet the flight.

They unloaded the baggage onto a cart and wheeled it around the building to the sidewalk behind the taxi. Took all of 5 minutes.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 05:06 AM

For a flight like that, it makes really no sense to have any security measures, as long as connecting passengers and luggage are re-screened if they would then go on mainline jets.

Is a terrorist going to blowup or hijack a B1900? Or to crash and kill a few sheep on the ground?
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

I flew NPE-WLG today. The Napier airport is quite a bit bigger. There are two double doors that lead to 5 "gates", really just parking spots for the planes. Counted at least 6 taxis out front. Restaurant and rental cars in the terminal.

Actually 3 NZ check-in people. There was even a nice Koru Club. This flight was a Bombardier Q300, 2x2, 50 pax. So it could have been a bit more of a substantial weapon than the 1900D. Could have taken out one of the art deco buildings in Napier with it.

No metal detector to walk thru at Napier. No x-ray belts. You could arrive at this airport and in 5 minutes you could be checked in and boarded.

Wellington has, of course, a real airport. I stopped at the Koru Club (the Air NZ, Star Alliance Gold club) for a cup of coffee before going to baggage claim. Ended up having lunch there. Ham, potato salad, hot dog, sushi!, dessert. All the drinks you could want.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM

Last year I took a number of domestic flights there and noticed the low stress security at Napier as well and also if memory serves the Queenstown airport. And yes, those little planes! One pilot was a young woman who I swear had a pony tail and braces on her teeth. Not really but young. And very competent. They were great flights (and I hate to fly).
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

No stress. I parked my rental car in front of the Nelson airport terminal today and in 5 minutes was checked in for my NSN-WLG flight. Couldn't have been any easier. There are 14 "gates" at NSN and no security.

At WLG I did notice an x-ray and a metal detector in front of the gates. The equipment was an A3xx but I didn't see where it was "off to". Probably international or maybe to AKL. The other domestic gates at WLG didn't have security.