Best Carrier for ATL to Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone! New to the forum and thought this would be a good place to ask this question.

Whats the best carrier for ATL to Germany (FRA or STR would be preferred)?

My wife is German and we travel a lot to Germany, and up until this year, I was able to non-rev with Delta Air Lines and get business class seats direct from ATL to STR. Now that I'm no longer a student and that lovely perk is no longer available, I need to purchase tickets. We flew eco with Delta last week, and I've got to say, I wasn't really impressed. My seat was broken (both ways) and our screens didn't work. Generally, I'm a big Delta fan (been flying with them for over 20 years), but I'm wondering if there're better options for Germany?

For what its worth, I'm a SkyMiles and Miles & More member.

Thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 06:34 AM

Welcome to the back of the bus. You may find, the hard way, that there is very little difference in economy fares. I look for convenient schedules and price, being willing to pay extra for an advance seat reservation. If a B-787 is available from a carrier, I think that plane is a little more comfortable. A non-US carrier appeals to some people for in-cabin service, but overall there is little to choose from unless you pay double (or more) for a premium seat.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 08:06 PM

Delta is the way to go, IMO. I think Lufthansa is pretty terrible.
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 06:49 AM

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/w...airlines-2018/

Lufthhansa is actually rated in top ten worldwide. It’s 7th the past two years. Delta is 37th, down 5 rungs from last year.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Oct 27th, 2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 10:00 AM

All Transatlantic flights are pretty much cr*p nowadays..basically commuter flights on commuter airlines. With extra charges for everything.

From Atlanta I don't know what the options are, but I'd likely go with an European carrier such as Lufthansa.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 12:33 PM

ATL is Delta's hub. You only have 2 choices, Delta or Lufthansa. That's it, if you want to fly nonstop. To STR you only have one choice, Delta.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 11:16 PM

I'd always choose any nonstop flight over one that needs connections. Unless the fare was much more expensive.
But your priorities may be different.

For convenience purposes I'd choose STR over FRA. Stuttgart airport is much smaller than FRA and easy to handle.

If I was a very cautious traveller, I'd always choose an European airline because you are also covered by EU consumer protection laws (statuatory compensation for delays and cancellations) on your way to Germany. When you travel with non-EU airlines this coverage only affects flights from the EU but not to the EU.