Lufthansa: How is Economy?

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lufthansa: How is Economy?

I have to do two trips to East Germany in the fall. On surface, Lufthansa seems the least expensive and easiest way to go. How is their Economy compared to the US carriers (which are HORRIBLE!!!). Thanks.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Apologies for the double listing. I was trying to correct a typo!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:57 AM

I have flown Lufthansa on both domestic and international flights and have had no problems with them.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Did not know that LH flies to EAST? Germany. Is that a new destination???

or are you asking about the Lufthansa Time-Machine Travel division? The economy sucks. It has been reported that on many occasions they miss by few years and sometimes you end up in EAST Germany in April/May 1945 and it's a vacation killer when you end up running from the advancing Soviet Red Army.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Lufthansa invests a lot in its modern aircraft fleet. Service and staff are usually above the average. They only thing they miss in economy is the individual entertainment screen on the rear of each seat but it is planned for the next future, while Emirates, Air Tahiti Nui and others already have them since some years.
No comparison at all with US carriers !
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Did I mention that they have free drinks including alcohol in coach? Three drinks each way on a round-trip ticket will save you $30.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM

AAFF, actually the GDR didn't come into existence until 1949.

I flew Lufthansa once internationally in economy, in February of last year and will avoid flying with them in the future. The flight was late leaving Dulles (not LH's fault, I think) but they made up little, if any, time. The seating was uncomfortable and the restrooms were filthy. The scheduled connection time to my flight to eastern Germany was 50 minutes. As passengers were de-planing at FRA, I spoke to a very pleasant FA about the connection and she suggested that they always recommend at least 60 minutes to make connections. The FRA-Dresden flights were uneventful.

Lufthansa's lounge (for Star Alliance Gold) at FRA has showers, which is nice.

On the return flight from FRA, the food looked nasty but was actually tasty. I swear that there was one inch of space between my knees and the seat in front when it was upright. Without my asking, the FA told the lady in fron to raise her seatback during the meal.

I wouldn't call the experience horrible, and I won't go around slamming LH based just on my one experience. I expect that LH is no more and no less horrible than US carriers. But, I will avoid them because I have an easy choice: United.

If you are flying on a United Q fare on United (not code-share operated by LH) then you could get an Economy Plus seat. In the fall, they might bring back the double elite qualifying miles offers that they've had the last two autumns (on qualifying fares get double-EQM between mid-October and mid-December). If one of your two trips qualifies for double-EQM (if they have the offer) then you will qualify for United Premier elite status.

If you fly LH then you can earn award and elite miles (including elite bonus miles) on United's FF program and (I think) on the USAirways program.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:23 AM

mrwunerfl,

If only Fodor's allowed us to edit after posting.

I meant eastern Germany

not East Germany.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:24 AM

free drinks ??

of course !!

US carriers are the only ones to charge for alchoolic drinks !!