Getting bumped from Premium Economy on Delta/KLM

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2015, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paid for Premium Economy on Delta/Klm PDX to AMS and return 9 months before trip. Is there any way not to get bumped out of these seats? We do not have status with Delta/KLM.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 02:51 PM

Why would you get bumped? You paid for them. If the equipment changes, there might not be the same number of premium seats so that is a minor possibility but if that happens you would get a refund of the extra payment. I think you are thinking of things to worry about.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

I am worried because I have read numerous accounts of passengers getting bumped at the last minute out of Premium Economy seats and no, you don't always get your money back.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 05:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Delta doesn't have premium economy. Do you mean economy comfort? Is this a Delta flight or KLM?
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I do mean Economy Comfort. I just used the term premium economy because that is the term which most people are most familiar.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 06:17 AM

For added confusion, Delta no longer calls it Economy Comfort. Now it is called Comfort+.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Good grief, just forget about it. I'm sorry I even asked the question. I don't mean to offend anyone, I am just not getting the answers I had hoped for.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 02:02 PM

I don't mean to offend anyone,but if you are not interested in a discussion clarifying what you are asking about, why did you ask?

Do a quick Google search as I did and you will learn that if you pay for a premium seat and then change your flight you are unlikely to get a refund. However, if for any reason the airline is unable to provide you with the premium seat, you are entitled to a refund.

Read the terms and conditions before you buy. I suspect the 'numerous' reports you have heard of people not being reimbursed were from those who failed to do just that. As for avoiding being bumped,I suggest you check in as early as possible.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM

I think that is what I said. Some people just want a particular answer and when they don't get it, they complain. If you not prepared to accept any answer, then doesn't ask the question.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

I was in hopes of hearing from flyers that actually experienced getting bumped or know of ways not to get bumped even after you have checked in early.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:12 AM

Ok, I fly PE or EC or C+ 80% of the time. I book fairly early but don't always check in early (almost always check in early when leaving home but rarely check in before arriving at the airport for returning or intermediate flights).

I have never been bumped except for one time when they substituted an aircraft without that service when I was bumped back to economy and received a refund. Also, I always wear one of my lucky shirts on all flights.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

So, the lucky shirt is the key? I will have find one!

Thanks for your response.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 01:30 PM

i also thought PE was the generic term.

Sounds like getting bumped isn't likely.

We just had equipment change on my Delta/Air France flight but I kept the PE/EC seat.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 05:40 PM

I think that you are worrying too much. I work for a major US airline and fly internationally every week as a flight attendant and I cannot think of anyone NOT getting their seat unless there was an equipment change which doesn't happen often. So sit back and enjoy planning your trip!
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 03:13 AM

Flight attendants do not always realise what is going on at check in level/seat assignment etc and whether the seat assignments got changed at check in or at the gate etc or if someone gets bumped. So because an FA says it has never happened on their watch does not mean to say it hasn't happened to a traveller on their flight.

But I do agree, there is too much worrying and what is to say that if you do get bumped, that it will be a downgrade and not an upgrade? Why spend time worrying over something that you cannot control?
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

This is certainly not the first time I have been told I worry too much. I prefer to call it "covering all my bases." Thank you all for your responses and I will find something else to worry about (for now).
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 05:31 AM

This is true. Just relax and enjoy.

Personally I believe the FA. They may not be at the gate but they are closer than than a website.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 07:34 AM

jacketwatch: Think about what you are saying. An FA only knows who is in what seat at the time of the flight, they do not know anything about the booking, how and why the seat was changed, how and why they were bumped - ground staff know that, not FAs. How much paperwork do you think they would need to know all that stuff? And what on earth has a website got to do with anything?
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 07:42 AM

I did think about it. You need to do that too. You don't give the FA enough credit for knowing how things work. I think they would have heard of this by just being in the industry and around passengers who would no doubt have been talking about what happened to them at the gate or other FA's or colleagues in the industry. of course they talk. You don't have to be at the gate to be aware of what practices are being followed. You don't need paper work, just ears. Do you think you know more than the FA's who are on planes every day? Thats what I thought about.

Regards, Larry. .
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 08:27 PM

Just an FYI-flight attendants hear EVERYTHING from passengers as they are walking onto a flight and throughout a flight if folks think that they have been "wronged".
Just last week, I had folks that said that they were supposed to be in economy comfort and that they were being screwed out of their seats. I went out to talk to the agent with their tickets in hand and found out that they had NOT bought tickets in the economy comfort seats.
They were confused because they had flown a different type of aircraft on the first part of their trip which had seats further up in the aircraft than the one we were on.

Please know-Flight attendants do try our best to make sure that we have happy campers with us in the aluminum tube for 9 hours plus AND Most of us who have been flying for decades are pretty savvy about the seating and what has happened out at the gate either from the gate agent or the actual passenger!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -