Search

Picking a safari planner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking a safari planner

We’re also planning a safari for fall of 2020 or spring of 2021. Regarding planners, we have received many great recommendations - Southern Destinations, Belafrique, Audley, The Wild Source, e-gnu and others. For those of you who used a planner, did you pick one and stick with them, or did you send your thoughts and requests to several? If the latter, what made you choose one over the other? (We’re thinking Botswana at this point, but South Africa and Tanzania are still in the running - what’s the political situation in Kenya? One of our group of 6 is concerned).
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 07:27 AM

I only contacted SouthernDestinations, due to the raves I had heard from several people (not on this forum).

I liked the fact that they are based in CapeTown and were "on the scene," so to speak, when a glitch would occur. (Main glitch was the 10 hour delay in the Blue Train; because Liesl was close by, she was able to arrange a private airlift to our camp, so we did not lose one game drive..)

After using them once, I would never go with anyone else.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 09:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is unrest in Kenya from the al Shabaab terrorist group but it is focused nearest the Somali border usually which is no where near where you’d go on safari.

When I first planned safaris I reached out to several planners but it does get confusing especially if it’s not an apples to apples comparison. I returned to one I really liked but she only specializes in Rwanda and Tanzania. I still adore The Wild Source but they couldn’t get me one of the camps I want for Zambia. I ultimately went with Africa Travel Resource who can generate itineraries faster than I can digest them and have some really good rates I couldn’t get with other planners. (Since Zambia is new to me I reached out to 4 different planners). I like being treated like a unique client and not just another Joe and ATR really pulled out the stops for my “milestone birthday” safari later this year.

I think the first time I went to Kenya I reached out to 4 or 5. I didn’t go back to two because while the safaris were fine I didn’t love their customer service during and after the fact. If I were to return to Kenya next, I’d just go back to Bill at the Wild Source. He seems to have personal relationships with a lot of camps that have special offers for him plus his own camps that are such high quality make it worth it for me. I believe he now has a camp in Botswana too, which you can only book through him (just like his Kenyan and Tanzanian camps)
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 09:26 AM

When we went to SA in 2011, I took the advice of a prominent Fodor’s and Safaritalk poster who recommended Tanya Kotze at Africa Direct. She has the advantage of being in country, though I see now her business has expanded to include a USA agent.

Fot last year’s trip to Botswana, I took amyb’s suggestion of The Wild Source and was very happy I had.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 10:39 AM

Yes, I've always gotten multiple quotes. I usually go with my gut on what itinerary seems to meet my needs the best combined with an analysis of price (but you can't always compare because the lodging quality may be vastly different). First time, Tanzania, got several quotes and went with Africa Dream in part due to itinerary, part price, and part them being in California (where I live). Second time, mostly South Africa and a little Botswana, I got several quotes and Tanya Kotze of Africa Direct was most responsive, most on point and best on price. Was very happy in both cases.

Third time we went to East Africa again, and my husband said just use Africa Dream since they were very good. But we were also going to Rwanda, so I reached out to a couple others that could do both countries. In the end, we did use Africa Dream (although they were not best on price this time) for what I'll call soft factors and our happiness with them the first time, and booked the Rwanda part directly with the lodge.

Fourth time, trip to Namibia and Botswana, plus a return to Cape Town, I got six or seven quotes, all over the map (both price and lodges/types of trips, even though I was pretty specific in what I wanted), and anded up going with a company in the State of Washington whom, rather than coming from word of mouth or other recommendations, was the referral by Wilderness Safaris from their website (and whose camps we ended up using). The planner was Ian Proctor, Ultimate Safaris. I was very happy with the trip they planned, since they suggested a trip that ticked all the boxes of what I wanted on the first try pretty much, whereas some others, IMO, missed the mark (and were quite a bit higher in price). I also had a couple phone calls with Ultimate Safaris and got a pretty high level of comfort from the calls, regarding their knowledge, safety of funds (deposit), etc.

So in summary, each time I mostly picked the planner who I thought did the best job is listening to what I wanted and creating a trip that met that best, with price as a second factor, as well as security of funds (i.e. a method that reduced risk of loss/company bankruptcy).

Not sure where you are, but I highly recommend all three of the companies I used. Best of luck.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 04:01 AM

for our first kenyan safari, i reached out to about 6. four gave me exactly what i did NOT want. two came back with more of what i was looking for. However, as we were traveling with 2 teens, only 1 took so much time on the phone in customizing and picking camps and locations that would offer a more varied list of activities that just a pure jeep safari. when we planned our second safari a year later, we used the same planner happily again. as I said in my review, "Sangeeta has the patience of a saint."

I highly recommend Sangeeta of Chalo Africa. They have offices in DC and India.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

four gave me exactly what i did NOT want
Did you tell them what you DID want, and they came back with something altogether different? Example??
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 11:55 AM

yes-big camps, long drives from camp to camp
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - those (or NOT those) happen to be on my list too.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 04:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
One thing to keep in mind about long drives between camps...it depends on the where from and to. If you're being told you're driving from Amboseli to the Mara or Nairobi to Samburu, that's one thing. But it is extremely common to do game drive transfers between camps in the Mara, for example. You can go between conservancies or from Reserve to conservancy as a game drive, leaving from one camp and arriving at your next camp. I wouldn't rule those out at all, especially because they usually end up being private (no other guests in the vehicle with you).

I completely agree on size of camp. For me, the fewer tents, the better.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 05:15 AM

amy batt, i totally agree. this was when i was considering Tanzania initially. the drives to the next camp in the mara is fun!
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 05:16 AM

i did learn from you after all!!
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plambers
amy batt, i totally agree. this was when i was considering Tanzania initially. the drives to the next camp in the mara is fun!
That makes sense!