Alternative to horse transportation

Oct 5th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Alternative to horse transportation

We are taking a Nile cruise which includes a tour in Edfu. From what I understand, the only form of transportation from the ship to the tour area is via horse carriage. I am opposed to using horses for transportation due to animal abuse. Is there any other form of transportation available? Thank you.
Oct 5th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by achay View Post
. . . I am opposed to using horses for transportation due to animal abuse. Is there any other form of transportation available? Thank you.
Not that I noticed. But ask the people in charge of excursions on your boat if there are taxis. I imagine there will be and, if so, they could get you one at the dock. Or you might ask exactly how long your boat will stop in Edfu as it would be possible to walk, though it would seriously cut into your temple time. But you wouldn't get lost, just follow the carriages.

Oct 6th, 2019, 12:36 AM

"I am opposed to using horses for transportation due to animal abuse."

Not using horses will not stop their abuse.

If you don't take a caleche this means less daily income(or perhaps no income at all, considering the low tourist arrivals in Egypt due to fear of terrorism) for the owner of the horses. If you were in his place and had to choose between feeding your children and your wife or feeding your horses what would you choose? Yes, I think Egyptian men would choose their family first too, like anyone else, meaning the horses will be actually worse off if you don't use their services.

How can you make a difference?

Perhaps you can tell the caleche driver that you'll give him a tip if he doesn't whip his horses too much or you can donate some money to the Brooke Hospital for Animals.

https://www.thebrooke.org/our-work/egypt
Oct 6th, 2019, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

The way I am planning to make a difference is to bring donated supplies from their wish list to ACE, Animal Care for Egypt, in Luxor. They have an education program that hopefully is teaching the next generation that abuse will not benefit them financially in the long run and that stopping the cycle of abuse is humane.

I understand that people choose to feed their families first. Paying a taxi driver helps him feed his family.

It is an individual choice for each person to try to make a difference - whether the issue is animal abuse, human abuse, politics, the environment, whatever - when and where they can, however small. That is what makes us human.
Oct 6th, 2019, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. In doing a little more research I have found it is possible to take a taxi and that's what I will try to do.
Oct 6th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

I meant to write, "Thank you for your reply MmePerdu. In doing a little more research I have found it is possible to take a taxi and that's what I will try to do."
Oct 6th, 2019, 10:04 PM

"Paying a taxi driver helps him feed his family."

Taxi drivers are earning money all the time, since locals use taxis as well. Caleche drivers can earn money only by transporting tourists.
Oct 6th, 2019, 10:30 PM
kja

Kudos, achay, for taking a stand and acting on it.
Oct 7th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kja for your kind comment.
Oct 7th, 2019, 07:49 AM

There are tuk tuks in Edfu, but the caleche drivers make it particularly difficult to get one from the docks, and you probably won't be allowed into the site; you'll have to get out and walk a block or two. You need to explain your concerns to your guide in advance of your arrival, and he/she can give you the latest information and should be able to help you; you might have to walk a bit to get one. I was in Egypt (at Edfu) in February, and while I'd been told we would have an alternative to the caleches, there wasn't one when we got there, though I saw tuk tuks later as we were riding through town. Someone else I know was in Edfu more recently, and I'm trying to find out how she got to the temple.
Oct 7th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you double_stallings. If you get any more information I'd appreciate it if you pass it on.
Oct 7th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Oops, sorry, spell check did its thing. doug_stallings
Nov 29th, 2019, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

To follow up, our guide was easily able to get a driver to pick us up and return us to our boat. So it is quite possible to get transportation without using caleches.
Nov 29th, 2019, 04:10 PM
kja

Thanks for letting us know!