Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Picking up rental car in Rome : views on picking up from Termini station ?

Old Jul 25th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to pick up a rental car in Rome for our trip to Southern Italy. We will be staying in central rome for five nights prior to collecting it. Best located rental sites appear to be around Termini train station. Has anyone experience of picking up car here ?

We cannot identify where the cars would be collected from at station as do not appear to be any car parks/lots nearby and wonder if it would need a lot of manouevering out of tiny garages into busy streets etc. Whilst experienced in driving in europe in busy city [drive round London every day of my life] Rome is for us Brits the 'wrong' side of the road and, in a strange rental car, we prefer a straight forward start. In Manhattan last year we wimped out and got taxi back to airport and picked up car from an open lot there which worked really well but seems a bit of a trapse if not necessary in Rome. So if you have experience of picking up car at termini station it would be great to hear from you.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 01:57 AM

I believe you would need to then drive through Rome to get to the highway to southern italy? Likely they will bring the car from wherever they have it parked to the termini rental place for you.

There is no way I would drive through Rome, neither would my hubby! Have you thought about taking the train to a small place south of Rome and picking it up there?
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 02:58 AM

We will also be in Rome for 5 nights, then pick up our rental car. We decided it would be well worth it to take a taxi to FCO or to a rental site further away from central Rome to pick up the car. There is no way I would drive in Rome.

Put in "termini train station rome italy" in the serach box on Google Maps, and then look at the satellite view. Convinced me!
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM

Have never picked up a rental car in Rome proper and never would. Have always picked up at the Rome airport and been very happy about that.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:06 AM

I don't know where you are going after Rome, but you might check out picking up your car at Rome's Ciampino airport.

There is transport from Termini Station to the airport. Depending on the number in your party and other factors, you might find it simpler to take a taxi.

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/rome/ciampino.html
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:37 AM

The car hire desks at Ciampino are a fair distance from the terminal. They are all in the same building and there is a shuttle bus, but it leaves infrequently, and there is no way of knowing when the next service is due. Ciampino is mainly served by low cost carriers, and most passengers will travel into Rome by bus. Car hire there is not a big operation, and desk opening hours are limited, especially on Sundays.

For these reasons, Ciampino may not be the best option for you.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:15 AM

I wouldn't suggest Termini, particularly now that there's construction around the station.

There's a Hertz location on Via Shakespeare in EUR close to the Fermi Metro station and not too far from the GRA (ring road) that will take you to the A1 to go south. Or one on Via Tuscolana near the Cinecitta Metro stop that is even closer to the GRA and the AI.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Alas, having actually done the EUR option, I really can't recommend that one for all the difficulties the EUR streetscape presents. (Also, haven't there been posts about ongoing construction on the GRA?) Never tried the one near the Cinecetta Metro stop.

Maybe loncall will return with more details about where he or she is going, how many in the group, how much luggage to drag, and what the day for the rental pick up is (Sunday?), at what time of year.

With luck, there is an easy option like taking a train to Salerno and proceeding from there. Despite chartley's useful elaborations on the tedium of using Ciampino, taking a taxi right to the rental offices and getting on the road might be worth considering, depending on the ultimate desintation and how many in the party.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We are three adults going onwards from Rome to Amalfi starting from Rome on a Wednesday morning in mid October. I'm not keen on taking a train as just seems like an extra leg in the journey with luggage to haul about and would prefer to get a taxi to one of the airports. Any thoughts on which would be nearest/easiest for the route to amalfi ? Plus any idea of journey time/taxi costs to airports would be helpful as well.Will you just be able to pick one up frpom a street or rank or do you need to book ? Many thanks
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM

Others who live in Rome may have better advice, but were it me, I might start by getting quotes from the various Rome limo services for pick up at your hotel to Ciampino -- provided that airport rental office has the kind of car you want.

I would book with a reliable service (it is easy to find reviews of them here and other travel websites) because if it's raining, or some other event you don't know about as a tourist, you just step outside your door, no worries.

You can use websites like via Michelin, Mappy and Google maps to plot a recommended route to Amalfi from Ciampino.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 12:34 PM
cw

loncall,

We picked up cars at Termini about ten years ago. It was on a Saturday morning and we were going to our rental in Sorrento. We picked up the cars (2 cars for 6 of us), drove around back to the hotel, picked up luggage and went off.

We did not have anything but maps, and my recollection is that it was a pretty straight ride to the East to get on the highway heading south. We were first going to Hadrian's villa in Tivoli so there may be a better way to go direct out of Rome to go South. Not much traffic, but it was a Saturday. Big highway, not confusing, all the way South.

The rental car offices were a bit chaotic and it seemed as though after you went up to the desk, someone would go off and get your car and bring it to a small lot (diagonal parking) right next to the station. It was tight in the lot but not confusing so much since it was one-way so no what-side-should-I-be-on questions until you got to the street.

If I had to do it again, I would bring the luggage to the station and just head right out. Try mapping the route and see how confusing it looks. Even if there's a lot of traffic leaving Rome, that's almost better because you don't have to make any quick decisions as you're driving along. (At least that strategy has worked for me renting a car in London.)
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM

zeppole, It's irrelevant now since loncall has decided to go to an airport, but there are two Hertz locations in EUR: one near the Magliana Metro stop, near the highway and with a "difficult" streetscape, and one near the Fermi Metro stop, a block away on a street grid as regular as any in Manhattan.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM

I'm not sure that loncall has decided for sure about anything. Since he closed his last post with some questions, he'll no doubt be back. I meant it when I said other might have better suggestions. The only recommendation is strongly have is getting a car service to haul the 3 adults and their luggage to whichever rental office chosen.

I rented my car through Europcar, as I recall. The office was inside the Hotel dei Congressi. While the streets were straight as far as the eye could see in every direction, the volume of bumper to bumper but still fast moving along the multiple lanes made it quite difficult to for me at one point to be in the lane I needed to make a turn. I turned at my first opportunity, but to get back to the street I missed, there were so few cross-streets, everything seemed to be one way, and I traveled miles and miles -- in perfect rectangles -- getting back to where I'd missed the turn, all the time in the same sea of traffic. I understood Mussolini's simplistic concept, and it's definitely not the centro storico's impossible tangle -- but the sheer volume of high-speed traffic is such,, I wouldn't do it again. It didn't seem much of an advantage to me over either being in central Rome or spending the extra time using the airport.

This was before GPS, and that might have helped me out, and I would recommend to loncall to rent a car with GPS or bring one loaded with European maps wherever the car gets rented.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:45 PM

loncall,

I'll also add that most people would advise you not to take a car to the Amalfi, even in mid-October if you think driving on the "wrong" side of the road is not your forte. Many people find the drive challenging and parking is quite challenging.

Some routes, like driving to Salerno, and then north to Amalfi, are less tortuous than coming through Sorrento. But at that point, I'd be inclined -- if I really felt I needed or wanted a car -- to reconsider taking the train to Salerno and renting the car there.

About the only reason I would want a car between Rome and Amalfi would be to visit Pompei, and I'd want to do it before I got to Amalfi. Or as I was leaving. I don't think I would want a car to move from town to town along the coast, because of the annoyance of parking it, as well as facing all those tour buses on the hairpin road coming from the opposite direction.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM
TCC

loncall
We did a similar car pick up last month in Rome, and also headed South.
Although we had picked up cars at Termini previously with
no problems at all, on this trip our Rome hotel was very far from Termini. Since we needed to take a taxi anyway, we opted for a location in EUR. We rented through Auto Europe and chose a location at Via Shakespeare, 43. It was a Hertz office with a friendly represenative, and on a Saturday morning we were the only customers there. Our car was pulled up right out front and we had no problem getting on GRA and easily finding our way to the A1/E45 South. From the front of the rental car office I think it was a right at the end of the street, then a left at the light, then straight for less than a mile to the GRA entance. If you don't have GPS, the rental car office will give you easy directions.
An added bonus for no picking up at the Airport......
no airport surcharge. The difference should easily pay for the taxi ride.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 02:29 AM

The taxi ride to Ciampino is likely to be more expensive, too, than a taxi ride to E.U.R. , OI would guess between 10 and 15 euros more, depending on the location of your hotel. Airport surcharges on rental cars run about 15 euros.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The EUR options looks good for us [have given via shakespeare a quick check on street view and looks enitrely manageable] and I would not have identiifed it without all your help. Once we are underway we are fine with driving in Europe and had no problems in Italy a couple of years ago. It is just that first five or ten minutes when you are getting your bearings in the car that can be a bit hot under the collarish !