Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Layout and favorite cottage at Sand Rivers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to email my tour op and ask them request specific cottage(s) for me at Elsa's Kopje and thought that I might as well do the same for Sand Rivers all in one email.

Can anyone enlighten me on the general layout of Sand Rivers? Do you have a favorite cottage? Are they all very different or pretty much the same? I prefer something that's farther away from the main lounge/dining area for more privacy. I'd also put great value on the view from the cottage.

Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Patty, did you see my aerial pictures of Sand Rivers?
http://www.go-safari.com/Selous/seloussandrivers.htm

The 8 rooms start at the lounge and follows the bank to the managers cottage. This is one lodge where I don't think the room choice matters too much. The best views are from the lounge so you will spend more time there than in your room.

The rooms closest to the lounge has slightly better views up the length of the river and given the long walk (uphill) to the rooms I think staying closer to the lounge is not bad at all!

My pictures are of room 5 - it was fine for us but even I would not have minded to be a bit closer.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Hi Patty!
Wow - finally a question I feel I have enough knowledge to answer!

We were in rooms 1,2 and 7 and 8. Room 1 was the closest to the lodge, 8 the furthest. Rooms 7 & 8 were also connected by an enclosed sitting area.There were 2 other rooms that were connected similarily, but I'm not sure of their numbers.

We liked our room (#2) but you do hear people walking by on their way to the lodge if you are in the bathroom while they are passing. Did not bother me at all, but if you are paranoid that way, it may bother you. The view of the river from our room was better than those in rooms 7 & 8 though.

We also had the highest number of hippos passing by in the night. Again, didn't bother me as the rooms are elevated quite a bit off the ground. My son just happened to spot one!

You will love Sand Rivers! When do you go? Please give Ross and Antonia my love when you go!
Jeanine
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

No, I hadn't seen those yet, thanks! I decided to charter from Dar to Sand Rivers, do you think I can get the pilot to do a fly by so I can get some aerials too?

I certainly have no problem sacrificing greater privacy if it means better views. On the other hand, Mark and I could both use the exersize
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Just saw your post, Jeanine. Hippos passing by are definitely a plus. No, I'm not paranoid about people walking by. I guess I was thinking more about noise from the lounge/dining area than anything else.

What did you think of room 1 compared to room 2?

We'll be there in December. Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Eben,
When you stayed there, did you share vehicles and boats with other guests?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Just checked my DF. Room # 1 was fine, great views and a number of animals making their usual noises, but no noise from the lodge.

We did not think that the walk to room 7/8 at Sand Rivers was uphill, especially after Treetops.

Also, there were other couples and one single traveler that had their own guide/vehicles.

Sand Rivers has 6 chefs for 8 rooms, (a total of 60 persons on staff) so I think (but I may be wrong) they make sure they also have enough guides so that each guest/cabin can have individual attention. Wouldn't hurt to ask your op to ensure that you have your own vehicle though.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:59 PM

Hi Patty,

We stayed at Sand Rivers July 2004. Two of our teenagers were appointed room 1 and they complained about the noise, not from the lodge but from the FROGS living in the little pond right next to lounge. They were more noisy than the mating hippo's that woke us up one night!
4 of the other kids of our group staed in the connecting rooms, which are really great for a family traveling together.
Our room didn't have a great view , because of the trees in front, but the room of our friends had a great view over the river which is loaded with hippo's! (Sadly I don't remember the numbers of our rooms)
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jeanine. It sounds like noise really isn't a problem, at least when it comes to human activities

Hilde,
Do you remember if those two rooms were closer or farther from the lounge area (the ones with the not so great and great view)?
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Hi Patty,

I've just posted some pictures of Sand Rivers to the Safari Lodge Photo Album if you want to take a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasher/sets/

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Julian!

I have photos of a dozen or more camps in Kenya half of which are already on a Kodakgallery album with captions that I put together for Eben. I can do the same with the rest but wanted to find out first if that would work for you. If so, I'll try to get to it this week.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Hi Patty,

Feel free to email your pics with captions to me - it would be great to have some more camps.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Patty,

My memory isn't that good , but my son tells me that the first room to the right of the main building (when looking at the river) was the noisiest, the second and third were connecting rooms with good views, then another room with nice view , the room afther that was ours (with not such great view). Just don't remember any n°s.
I think you should look at www.intotanzania.com
They mention which rooms have good views .
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Julian,
Give me a few days to upload and write captions for the rest and I'll send you a link to the album.

Hilde,
Can you tell me where to look on the ATR website for that information. I looked on the Sand Rivers "Detailed description, price and specification" but couldn't find where it mentioned which rooms have good views.