Search

Rooms at Rancho Naturalista

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rooms at Rancho Naturalista

Please help we are going to Rancho Naturalista in February and after talking to Costa Rica Getways we still confused about the different types of rooms. It seems that are there is a main building and newer and then even newer accomdations. We are three adults and will need two rooms. Are suggestions on rooms that you have stayed in? Costa Rica Getaway recommended Room 1 and 2 but she did mention noise from a laundry and it is connected to the main balcony, privacy issues?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM

We stayed in a room over the garage in the main lodge. It was very nice and had its own bathroom, sitting area and balcony. It had its own seperate stairway to get to it. We did hear them early getting ready for the birders on the balcony. We had to go down through the main area and then back up to get around to the main balcony. The rooms in the other side of the main lodge by the main balcony were occupied except for one small room for a single that had to share a bath so we couldn't look in. Everyone has to walk up the stairs by those rooms, as far as I remember, to get to the main balcony for the morning birdwatching that is so famous. They have coffee set up on the balcony for that so the foot traffic will start early.

The cottages were set off a little ways but not too far and seemed nice. There was a big group from England there so we didn't get to see those either. Haven't been there since they added more so can't comment on those.

Privacy probably isn't an issue but you will hear people. Being mostly birders things quiet down early but they also wake up very early. I am assuming you are there for the birds as well so hopefully the foot traffic noise won't bother you. I don't recall laundry noise being an issue. It has been about 4 years and many trips ago so my recollections are getting a little dim. Hopefully someone who has stayed there more recently will comment.

The hummingbirds at Rancho are just amazing and other than the forest falcon were the highlight of our stay.

We used Gateway for our whole trip that year and were very happy with their work.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM

We were put in an older area slightly away from the main lodge and were very disappointed. The room was small, smelly, and noisy with the sounds of others below easily heard. Had to go out of room to the bathroom through a seating area.

We asked the next day if we could move and were given a large room, (#10 new area up a walkway) with tile floors, cathedral ceiling, picture window wall, outside tiled covered sitting area and much quite and privacy. It was a pleasant short walk to the dining area. I believe #11 was the only room next to it and no rooms were above or below. The owner said she used to live there before her new place was built.

The beautiful room shown in the lodge website picture is above the kitchen I was told by someone staying there.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information regarding the rooms. Do you remember the number of the first that you did not like? Also did room number 10 have a view of the valley?
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I think the room we didn't like was in the 30s/40s? but not sure. Room 10 didn't look out over the valley but into the forest. Just fine as we had plenty of time to enjoy the valley view during morning coffee on the public birding deck and during lunch and other times. The privacy and quite was much appreciated. The trails to the hummingbird feeders and baths were nearby #10 but not much foot traffic broke our privacy as we were usually with the group on the trail.