Kenya Visa

May 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Kenya Visa

I'm starting to think about getting that visa for Kenya for the September safari. I seem to have two options. Going to the Kenya Embassy here in town and applying directly for the visa. The big problem is having to leave my passport with them for about ten days when they would mail it back (with the visa stamped). I absolutely do not like the idea of surrending my passport and having to rely on them and the mail to get it back to me.

The other option is to apply for a visa upon entry to Narobi. Has anyone been there recently and applied for the visa at the airport? How has that worked out? Another thought is because a visa to Kenya is required, if there is not one in my passport, might that pose a problem with Emirates Airlines on boarding the flight? Any advice will be welcome.
May 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM

10-days for turnaround? Don't think so. You bring in the morning and can pick-up next morning. However, of late a number of countries are computerizing their visas, and not sure if Kenya is, but might add a day or two.

That said, if you prefer not to "surrender" the passport, then do as many others - get the Visa at the airport on arrival.

While visa is required, and since this can be obtained on arrival, no problem boarding your Emirates (or other flights). Sure hope not, as I'm flying Emirates and as in years past, will get my visa on arrival at NBO.

May 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Sandi, you doing the JFK-Dubai flight? The standard time is 12 hours and change to Dubai, but, i have on two ocassions had a shorter flight of 11 hours due to very favorable wind conditions......hope you luck out, similarly.

Have a good trip
Hari
May 6th, 2007, 03:38 AM

HariS -

... more time for shopping

With good tailwinds anything is possible. Last year, flying KLM, almost 2/hrs late on take-off, we hauled across the pond and landed only 15/min later than expected. Maybe I'll be so fortunate flying to DXB.

Personally, have found that after 10/hr, I feel no pain and could go (almost) forever, except for the boredom factor. At least, the leg DXB/NBO is short with arrival mid-afternoon.

May 6th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I have never had any problems sending my passport to embassies/consulates for a visa, either sending it directly or using a visa service. Just follow the instructions that they give you, and you'll be ok. I would recommend using traceable services.

That said, the Kenya embassy in DC has the slowest turnaround time of any that I've ever dealt with (3-4 weeks).
May 6th, 2007, 05:08 AM

I would not bother getting visa before hand. The line for those with visas was as long as that for those without when we were there in August.

Kevin from California
May 6th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Get your visa upon arrival.
May 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM

I recently returned from Kenya.....i got my visa at the airport upon arrival.

The line for visas was not very long and it went quickly.....i was told to have $50 USA , my application and two passport pictures. When i reached the window, the gentleman took my application, my money and didn't want the pictures.....it took about 30 seconds.....
May 8th, 2007, 06:39 AM

We recently returned from Kenya and Tanzania and had no trouble with getting visas in either of the countries. In Nairobi there was a small line and it took about 10 minutes time and 50 US dollars each and we had our visas. We were not asked for photos.
Linda