Is there still a Kenya Embassy in NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just read a post about someone going to the Kenya Embassy in NY a while ago, I thought I'd ask, as I can't seem to get an answer. I am trying to obtain visas for a visit in June/July. I called the number listed on many internet sites and it is now another business. They evidently get a lot of phone calls, because the person who answered said they did and she didn't have a forwarding new number. I then called the embassy in Washington DC. I was on hold for 15 minutes. Finally I tried another tact, and was transferred to 'Visas", but no one was there. I left a voice mail, but there never was a reply to the voice mail. I asked on the voice mail if indeed there still was an embassy in NY. I tried the email address, but it was send back as being undeliverable. At this point, I'm nervous about sending my passport through the mail to this embassy. Any info. on this would be appreciated.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:05 AM
sandi

There used to be an office on Madison Avenue, but it doesn't seem to be located there any longer.

You might want to check with the Kenya Mission located at 866 UN Plaza, across from the UN. The Missions often issue Visas, so it's worth a try to call. Here are two numbers:

212.754-5755

Or give a call to Kenya Airways, located on Fifth Avenue - they might have some info:

Otherwise, you'll have to send your application "with" your passport, 2-photos, and a money order for amount due to the Washington DC office. Send via registered, return receipt, and included a return envelope with postage paid. These instructions are found on the reverse side of the passport application.

Hope some of these numbers work for you.

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, Thanks, I'll try the numbers.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Cronen:

Rather than wasting time trying to get your visa here before you leave may I suggest getting it at the JKIA airport in Nairobi upon arrival. Many of us have done this with no problem.

Print up the visa application form from the Kenyan Embassy on-line. Fill it in before you leave on your trip. As soon as the plane lands exit the plane with your visa application and $50.00 and go directly to the visa booth, pay your $50.00 and you're all set.

Only takes about five minutes. This way your passport always remains in your possession and you don't have to mail it anywhere.

Jan
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Can I ditto Jan?
I entered Kenya at Nairobi earlier this month.
We made sure to speed off the plane towards the visa counter incase of long queues but were through it within literally 2-3 minutes.
Even those last off the flight were waiting no more than about 15 minutes.
We also paid less ($50) than many who had purchased visas in advance but via visa agencies rather than direct from their local Kenyan embassy.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM

I agree, and when I visited Kenya last August, I picked up my visa at the airport. It actually worked to my benefit, because I bought my visa and they stamped my passport at the same time, so I didn't have to wait in the passport line.

You need US dollars.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM
sandi

Kenya is a country where you can get your Visa at point of entry, and as others have indicated, the line moves pretty fast. Though it is encouraged to have the Visa prior and many of us prefer this also (considering you've just de-planed and can only think of sleep, if you prefer not to mail the passport, this is a sure option.

Cronen - Being in NYC, I've been lucky to be able to get most country Visas right here. But, inasmuch as, the office on Madison Ave. is apparently closed, do let me know whether the Mission is issuing Visas so I know for the future. Thanks.

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

FYI - I called the first number for the UN mission and it just rang, however the second number 212.754-5755 worked. The consulate on Madison is indeed closed and now all visas are issued through Washington DC, they don't do it in NY. Oh well. I'm thinking of risking it and getting them there, it almost seems easier.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM
sandi

Cronen - thanks for the update. And they had a really great staff at their Madison Avenue office. Well, at least I'll know for the future.

You should be fine obtaining your Visa on arrival.