Just re-re-re-confirming Visa info

Jun 26th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Just re-re-re-confirming Visa info

I know it's been discussed here many times, but please bear with me as I just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure that I'm clear on this and don't make any mistakes.

We are less than 13 weeks away from leaving for Tanzania, Rwanda and Kenya.
Please let me know if any of my info on obtaining visas for these countries is incorrect.

Tanzania & Kenya:
We can obtain on arrival at JRO and NBO airports respectively. Fee is $100 per person in Tanzania and $50 per person in Kenya, paid in cash only (or can we pay by credit card?)
All we need is the application form and passport (we do not need extra photos)

Rwanda:
US residents exempted from requiring visa

I'd feel so much better if I could get confirmation from some of you Africa experts

Thanks,
Lisa

www.luv2globetrot.com

Jun 26th, 2008, 05:51 AM

Cash only for Kenya and Tanzania visas on arrival at both NBO and JRO.

For Tanzania, while some agents will take $100 bill, others might be picky (counterfeits). Consider 2/$50s.

Jun 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM

No passport photos needed. JRO may not even care about the visa application but NBO will definitely want them. Landing cards will be given out on board if you're flying in which also need to be filled out and turned in at the same time as you're handing over your passport, application and fee. If not given out on board, you can find these at immigration. Precision Air didn't have them, but KLM or Kenya Airways will. Have a great trip!
Jun 26th, 2008, 06:58 AM

The on-arrival visa took me approx 2 to 3 minutes at NBO airport recently. Very easy and hassle free!
Jun 26th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi and Patty!
Just got our seat assignment on KLM this morning from AMS-JRO!!!

Anyone know for sure about Rwanda?

>-
www.luv2globetrot.com
Jun 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

HariS,
You must've been posting at the same time as I was.
Thanks
Jun 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM

I could be wrong but I think the Tanzania visa fee for US citizens is also $100. I think it is $50 for non-US passport holders.
Jun 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Rwanda - NO visa required for US passport holders.
Jun 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful!
Thanks for the info!

>-
www.luv2globetrot.com
Jun 28th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Thanks for this info. I was told to get the Kenya Visa prior to the trip. This seems as if it is an easy fee to pay at the airport on arrival....like Egypt last year.

Good to know.
Jun 30th, 2008, 07:39 PM

You can get your VISA before you leave by sending the appropriate documents to the Kenyan embassy here in the United States. You may want to check the other embassies to see if you can obtain them before you leave. One less thing to worry about.
Jun 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM

For Kenya, I wouldn't recommend anyone to send their documents to get the visas prior to departure - the on arrival visa, is one of the easiest to do and hardly takes any time at all. Infact, the whole process takes only a few minutes and then you will be off. They don't have the visa applications on the plane - just landing cards for Nairobi. So, what you can do is, print a visa application form from the website, fill it and take it with you!

Others can tell you the best sites to download and print the application form - but, from memory (I'm not 100% sure) I may have gotten it on the Kenya airlines website itself.
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Here are the links I used to print out the visa application forms for Kenya and Tanzania:

Kenya:
http://www.kenyaembassy.com/visa.html
Tanzania:
http://www.tanzaniaembassy-us.org/visa/visa.html

--
www.luv2globetrot.com
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:59 PM

Augh!! Ok....I understand English but Im still confused!!!

I have both visa forms sitting here. Now do I check multiple entries or just the singular. I am only a tourist BUT I will safari in Kenya, pass on to Tanzania for more, then go to Zanzi then fly from Zanzi back to Nairobi in Kenya to fly home on Air France.

I am a USA person.

I know this will all be easy ONCE I do it!!!

Thanks Africa experts!!!
Jan 31st, 2009, 07:00 PM

AND..... do we get the Tanzania visa at the border while on Safari and is this the norm so there won't be any problems??
Feb 1st, 2009, 05:25 AM

Leanne -

I don't even fill-in Single or Multiple, just hand over my US$50 with passport. Looking at my last visa (May/Jun'08) it doesn't even indicate single or multiple.

For the Tanzania visa, at Namanga land border or JRO by air, again hand over passport with USD$100 and set to go.

Returning from Zanzibar to NBO for homebound flight, the initial entry Kenya visa allows the re-entry even if you would be spending a few days in Kenya instead of just boarding your flight.
Feb 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM

Definitely have your visa forms filled out before you get to the window, but don't bother sending away for them before you go. The line goes very fast.

In Tanzania, they barely looked at the form but they DID look very closely at the bills. Be sure to bring newer bills - two $50s are better. I saw them refuse the $100 bill that the person in front of me had. And it is a cash only system.
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM

FYI. We arrived at NBO in the evening last July and the wait was about one hour to buy the Visa. I don't know what the delay was but it was long. The was no line at JRO when we arrived midday. I agree new crisp $50's seem to be the way to go.
Feb 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM

Ok all thank you!!! I will have the $50 bills handy and I have gone ahead and filled out 2 forms..the multiple and the single for Kenya. That way I can have whichever what they want!

Also thank you for the T. border crossing info. I have the form all filled out.....and again will have new money ready!!!

I'll print it just before we get there!!!

JOKE!!!!!
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:03 AM

The websites of country's embassies have the most reliable information. And to check it again right before you leave as it can change from time to time. Here is link to Embassy of Rwanda in the U.S. http://www.rwandaembassy.org/consular.html. The list of exempted countries includes the U.S.