Visa For Tanzania, Road Entry...

Apr 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Visa For Tanzania, Road Entry...

We are flying into Kenya but immediately leaving and taking a bus to Arusha, Tanzania. I read that you can purchase a visa for Tanzania at the border town, Namanga, on arrival from Kenya. Has anyone done this and can verify? Thanks!
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM

If you're taking the shuttle bus to Arusha, you'll need a Kenyan Transit Visa @ $20/person.

Then when you reach Namanga border you can purchase Tanzania Visa. For US passport holders @ $100/person; most other passports at $50/person (do check the Tanzania tourist site). Passport photos are NOT required if purchasing visa on site.

You will require Yellow Fever inoculation and Yellow Card as verification to enter Tanzania.

How long will you be in Tanzania? Will you then be returning to Kenya? If so, you may have to purchase a regular (instead of Transit) Kenya Visa @ $50 for reentry.
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

We won't be returning to Kenya so the transit visa will be sufficient. We will be traveling to Malawi after Tanzania. You don't by any chance know what it is like to obtain a visa at that border do you?
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Sorry, don't know about Malawi. Check their official site.
Apr 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM

I did the Nairobi to Arusha shuttle via the Namanga border 2 years ago. As Sandi says, you can get your Tz visa at the border. Easy enough to do, with exit process on the Kenya side, a 1 minute (or less) drive to the Tz side and then a longer entry process where you'll get your visa. Be prepared to be hassled by locals trying to sell you stuff. "Hapana asante" is Swahili for "no thank you" which will be useful for you to learn.
Apr 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

"Hapana asante"

Got it. Thanks!
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Replied to your other thread about Malawi, but while I was browsing the Pilot Guides website (website for Globetrekker), I saw that Malawi doesn't require visas for Americans or Commonwealth countries:

Malawi

Citizens of commonwealth countries, the United States, and most European nations (except Switzerland) do not need visas. Visas are limited to 30 days though extensions are easy to get.

Better double check, though.
Apr 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

I saw that too for Malawi. That sure is nice I must say!