Two Tanzania visa questions?

Nov 20th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Two Tanzania visa questions?

Hi,
I have a 3 week trip to tanzania in august of 2006. Cant wait. Im going with Oversease adventure travel. I have two questions about getting into Tanzania.
1. Im a US cititzen and have an old misdemeanor on my record. I did call the embassy about this and they said it would be no problem. I want to make sure nobody has been denied enty into Tanzania because of a misdemeanor.
2. Im going to be using a visa service to get my visa. In the packet that I recieved they did not mention that I needed any proof that I have enough money for travel. Does being part of a safari group surfice as proof? if not what does(bank statement or 1040forms?)
Thanks for any information
Deeppowder
Nov 20th, 2005, 10:48 AM
bat

Hi deeppowder:

Re what do you need to submit with the visa appplication, if you look at the thread below you will see that different locations seem to be giving different advice. The D.C. Embassy told me to bring proof of air tickets and receipt/statement from tour operator that we were paid. Another poster sent their application to the NY U.N. location and they are not requiring this extra information.

But if you look at the instructions on either the embassy website or the U.N. location both indicate they want proof of air and tour operator itinerary. Here is the web address for the U.N. location. http://tanzania-un.org/index.asp?pgid=74

Here is the earlier thread about visas.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34707647
Nov 20th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Hi Deeppowder,

Iíd get the visa upon arrival. Itís less hassle and you donít need any passport photos. On those photos I always look like Iíve got major misdemeanours on my record. You only need to fill out a form, show your passport and pay $ 50. Iíve never been asked anything at the visa counter in Nairobi and, from what Iíve read, itís the same in Tanzania.
Nov 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
sandi

If you choose the option of using the OAT Visa service, you don't need anything other than a completed Visa application, two photos, your passport and USD$50 money order. However, I'm sure the service from OAT is costing way more than the $50, so send them a check for whatever the total and OAT will provide the service with the proper payment to the Tanzania Embassy or Consulate.

You can also obtain your visa upon arrival at Tanzania. Just download the form from the Tanzania tourism website, have it completed when you deplane... head to the Immigration area and to the right there is a Visa Desk. Here, just hand over the form, your passport and a crisp USD$50 (no photos required) and your set to go.

Nov 21st, 2005, 03:27 AM

Deeppowder, I too echo the suggestion of getting Visa when you enter country. On a couple of occassions the form we downloaded and completed was ignored at the counter. But, better to be safe. Be polite, have the form completed, have the crisp $50 in hand and you will do fine. Dick
Dec 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Agree with those who say you should just get your visa on arrival. There's no way the Tanzanian immigration official at the airport will know you have a misdemeanor on your US record. All you need is your completed landing card (available at the counter or ask for one on board your flight), passport and $50. We also brought completed visa application forms with us but they were unnecessary (unlike in Kenya where they do require both the completed landing card and visa application form).
Dec 7th, 2005, 01:54 PM
bat

Patty:
Quit helping other people and concentrate on you-know-what
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM

deeppowder,
It does sound like you've had a bit of bad luck these days with your passport being put though the wash machine and other entry problems within other countries.
Best of luck to you getting to the many places you've previously looked into traveling to.

Search this Thread