Driving to Masai Mara

Nov 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Driving to Masai Mara

I have rented a 4WD vehicle to drive from Nairobi to Masai Mara in early December. Have booked accomomdations at Kicheche Camp, located on the Aitong Plains in the northern Koiyaki Lemek region near the reserve. Can't seem to get a fix on the best route to take & just how good/bad the roads might be -- especially if there's rain. Have some read some accounts that suggest the roads are virtually impassable in wet weather. Can anyone help?
Nov 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM

If you have(or can borrow) a Garmin gps with Mapsource world map, you can get a map with roads to the Mara. Its 30 Rand-less then 5 dollars- and you can download over the internet from tracks4africa and then to your gps with the right cable.
www.tracks4africa.com/t4a_maps_pro.asp

Download Google Earth and use the overlay from tracks4africa and also the overlays from go-safari.
www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/masaimarai

This will be extremely helpful for game viewing routes and the return. You can't get lost unless you are gps technically challenged. It isn't that difficult. There is a email list forum for questions or the owners are extremely helpful. They are in South Africa.

The roads are in the hands of the Rain Gods. I've been in Kenya during Dec and Jan and the roads weren't bad. It really depends on if the clouds open up.
Nov 15th, 2005, 02:28 AM

Hi
I think that road is very rocky and difficult. You could enter through Seknani and ho through the park.
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM

You've probably left already but in case you haven't, the road to Kicheche is not that bad. From Nairobi to Narok is very bumpy, past Narok is a very smooth paved section (one of the best sections of road I've experienced in Kenya), then onto a reasonably well maintained (for Kenyan standards) dirt/rock road. You'll need to pay approx 500 KES maintainence fee to drive on this last section (there's a gate where they collect the fee). We were told that this western road is in better condition than the road to the Sekenani gate on the eastern side. We were originally supposed to drive back via the Sekenani gate, but on our way to the Mara we decided to opt for a flight back instead so I can't give you a first hand comparison of the 2 roads. There's a third road which is in between the eastern and western roads which we were told is in very poor condition. When we left the Mara on Nov 29, there had been very little rain and the area was still extremely dry. I don't know if it's rained since.
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
bat

Ok, is that what you are going to do--tease us with tid-bits here and there
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:44 PM

That's the plan
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM
bat

You >

Search this Thread