Kenya visa

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya visa

Hello.

Travelling to Nairobi on Christmas day. Wondering if I should try to get my travel visa ahead of time and if the queue will be very long when I get to Nairobi airport. Also, is there a Consulate General in NYC? Or a good website to get information on what kind of a visa I would need if I'm a UK or Canadian? And how long does it usually take to apply for the visa within the US/Canada? Please advise.

Cheers!
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:35 PM

I was in Nairobi a year ago and had no problem getting a visa at the airport. There was no queue at all, but then I got off a plane coming from Kigali with few passengers needing visas. I suspect that after a flight coming from USA or Canada there will be a fair number of passengers queuing up.

Personally, with only a month to go before departure, I wouldn't want the worries of waiting for my passport to arrive back in the mail from the Kenyan Embassy/High Commission. If you decide to get your visa at the airport, have US$50 in cash for the fee.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:02 AM

You should read these posts:

1. Visa
6 responses; most recent on 11/22/2003, 07:59 am

2. Kenya/Tanzania Visa can you obtain upon arrival
10 responses; most recent on 11/22/2003, 07:58 am

3. Visas to Kenya, Tanzania, Egypt (photos needed)?

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:42 PM

gtrekker2003

I would agree with Thyrm and get your visa upon arrival in Nairobi. On three occasions I haven't had any wait at all. In September there were quite a few people waiting in line to get their visa but it was still only about a 10 minute delay. Just print up a visa application on line from the Kenyan Embassy, fill it out in advance, sign it and have it with your $50.00 in hand when you get off the plane.

I know you'll have a wonderful trip. Please be sure to post a trip report when you get home so we can all hear about it.

Jan
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:04 AM
sandi

I've always gotten my Kenyan and Tanzanian VISAs in NYC, both have offices here.

If you live in the area it is convenient; otherwise, wait till you arrive in-country and do it upon arrival.

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:10 AM

Hi:

The Kenyan High Commission in Canada has a web site at -
http://ncf.davintech.ca/freeport/gov...ica/kenya/menu

From the web site I obtained their e-mail address ([email protected]) & requested the visa forms which they e-mailed back to me fairly quickly & the instructions indicated everything needed.

Since I live in Ottawa, I dropped the forms & my passport off in the morning and picked them up plus the visas that afternoon.

Hope this helps.

Z
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:00 PM

There are also embassies for both Kenya and Tanzania in Washington, DC. Found them to be faster than the ones in NYC.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:30 PM
sandi

SusanLynn -

How much faster in Wash than NYC when all I had to do was drop off the Kenyan application (photo and $$) and picking up that afternoon or the next morning (don't recall which); then over to Tanzania and repeating the same. Two or three days, all done.

But we're rather spoiled in NYC - most countries have at least consular offices (some even Embassies and lots of tourist offices) because of the UN; so far for any country I've needed a Visa, this has saved me having to put my passport into the mail.