Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if Precision Air allows a 20" rollaboard as a carry on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to their time table, my flight is scheduled on a 47 passenger ATR42 aircraft. Would a standard 20" roller fit underneath the seat or in the overhead or would they make me check it? Thanks.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:23 PM
sandi

Checked.

Even though it says 47-seater, we've found that equipment is rolled out based on the actual number of passengers booked for a particular flight. So it's likely you may only be in a 19-seater. Also, the overheads aren't all that large and there certainly isn't sufficient room under the seat.

The ground crew takes all the luggage except your actual carryon, camera equipment, handback or backpack - and in goes underneath.

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sandi. I'll stick with a soft carry on for this flight then.

Do you know how much Precision charges per kg for overweight luggage? I'm thinking about bringing a roller anyway and just checking it empty on this flight. It would be in addition to my main duffle. If the overweight charge isn't that much, I don't mind paying since it's just one flight. We'll be transitting through 1/2 dozen other airports and I find a wheeled carry on so much easier to deal with.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 04:51 AM
sandi

What other airports? In the States, Europe? At these, there are carts which are easy enough to hold your duffles or rollaboard.

In East Africa, most airports (other than JKIA and JRO) are actually airstrips and as soon as you arrive in your vehicle, someone takes your bags. There's not much you have to do yourself.

Have no idea the charge for overweight. We (all our bags) were overweight on our first flight in Kenya, but I managed to talk (smile) my way out of it. Were never bothered on any additional flights/airstrips while here.

I'm also more comfortable with my "own wheels" - this was our first "all flying" safari and the duffles were no problem whatsoever.

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

We'll be transitting through a few US and European airports enroute both directions (these are ff award tickets so we don't have the most direct connections). We won't have our main luggage with us just carry on's so no need for a cart. But I much prefer wheeling a roller over carrying a shoulder bag. Plus the roller makes a great foot stool I'll check what they charge before I leave and decide.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 01:46 PM
sandi

Patty -

Instead of a 20" roller, I have one of those rolling backpacks that the kids use for their schoolbooks. The largest, I believe, is 18", we use the medium 14-16" which holds all our extras and fits easily in overheads of Intl flights and certainly fit the sizers.

But even these do not fit in overheads on intra/inter-country flights. My only other carryon is a (1st edition) Prada backpack for personal papers, meds, makeup, and the rest.

At International transfer points with carts so readily available, and free (just like in the US, Not!), we use one and everything goes on these.

On our recent trip, where we flew everywhere, except for our flight from ZNZ/NBO and the return flight Mara/NBO that were 40-pax planes, all others were 19-seaters.

Consider adding another piece of luggage with one of those small rolling backpacks - cost is about $20.

At this point I have luggage in so many different sizes (thankfully the smaller ones stack into the larger) they'll soon move me out of my apartment. What to do?

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:48 PM

I don't think you have a choice - you'll simply have to pack a few and go on a trip. You're only strategy is to wear out the luggage before it takes over.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 02:09 AM
sandi

lifelist -

Believe me, I'm working on where to fly off to next. But the luggage keeps multiplying... like dweebles!