Search

Camera and Luggage Shlepping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera and Luggage Shlepping

I thought I'd give this question it's own space:

I'd like to not have to check in any luggage for at least the beginning of my trip if possible (I may bring a fold up duffle for later purchases).
I was told by my travel operater that I could bring a backpack and a duffle and have it considered as carry on. Do you agree?

Also, where would you rec. I carry my camera and equipment - don't want it ruined, as it's being pawed thru or get it whacked on a counter. Would a external camera case be pushing the limit or would you say it needs to go in the luggage? My DH will have on a photo vest so we can probably put some camera gear and other stuff in there and if it looks nec. I may wear a vest as well or whatever else we need to do to get away with not having to check in luggage. Is a womens purse (not bringing one) or facsimile considered to taking too far? (1 backpack, 1 duffle and a purse fill in) for me. 1 duffle,1 backpack and a camera case for him. I think we can remain below the weight limits.
Any help is appreciated.
Sherry
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:42 AM
sandi

If you're referring to your Int'l flights, your airline is the best resource for weight limits and what you can/cannot bring on board. Class of service - coach, business, first - will determine. But I can tell you that my 30" duffle would not have fit in the overhead along with my backpack... nor would I want to have to find a cart once deplaning in Europe or my African destination to get to Immigration.

All a personal choice, but the airline should have the final word. If you're flying on a code share plane, the limits will be based on the actual carrier's metal, i.e., you may fly American across the water, but BA to Africa - both have different limits. So check this carefully.

On the internal flights - Kenya and/or Tanzania - the limits are 15Kb (33-lbs) and this is not going to be carryon; all goes (squished) in the underbelly. You can take your camera equipment on board. And if, as they did with us on our first internal flight in Kenya (we had quite few) they weighed everything prior boarding first flight - we were over, and they wanted additional fees. So, you may get hit for both duffle and backpack.

Since, if I recall, you'll be heading to the Seychelles, you can leave a bag with your "beach stuff" in NBO (at your land outfitters office) from where I presume you're flying to SEZ. That's assuming you arrive and depart from the same airport.

There is no guarantee what size equipment you will have on internal flights, so for your tour operator to just say "it's okay" - may not be.

You don't want them to have to hold back one of your bags for a later flight that day or the next.

So check direct with your Int'l carriers and note the above for your internal flights.

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi,

I pretty much think that I can stay under all the weight requirements - I checked and they all seem pretty reasonable. As for checking stuff in with internal flights - I don't mind doing that too much, as those flights are usually so small that getting luggage at the end usually isn't an ordeal.
As for international flights, I'm mostly concerned with being able to bring 3 carry ons. My duffle is only 22 x 9 x 10 which will fit in any overhead. My backpack or purse type carrier with personal stuff and camera will always stay with me under the seat. I've already checked airlines to no avail. 2 different answers.
If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears (eyes)
Thanks;
Sherry
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:53 AM
bat

Sherry:
Are you starting on an international flight or an internal U.S. flight connecting to an international one? The reason that I ask is that I believe you are limited to 2 items of carry-on in the U.S.--I remember having to stuff a shopping bag into a carry on piece at the security check because that is what the security agent said.

You have looked at the websites of your international carrier? If it permits 3 then I would print that out and take it with you.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Bat - we'll fly Boston/amster/kilo, serengeti/kilo/niarobi/seychelles,
seychelles/nairobi/amster/boston - good idea about printing it out. For some reason, it seems that some airlines don't count a purse as a carry on. I still hope I can at least get on with 2 pieces.
Sandi - Once I started thinking that I wanted to get away with carry ons only, I nixed the idea of bringing extra stuff to be stored in Arusha for the Seychelles. less is more, if I need something that badly, I'll buy it over there, hence the small stow away duffle. I was thinking of bringing snorkling gear but it just seems like a hassle. They'll have gear, albeit worn, torn and ill fitting on the boat.
Thanks;
Sherry
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM
sandi

Surprisingly when we did Kenya, Tanzania & Seychelles, I think I had less luggage. Most all fit into a 26"rollie. I divided the bag - left side safari clothing; right side for the Seychelles... and still had more stuff than I needed.

But no rollie this past trip, couldn't have wheels and hard back, yet the 30" duffle which was also higher and wider didn't seen to fit as much clothing. Beats me. And we only spent 2-days on Zanzibar... bikini and a pair of shorts, t-shirt and 1-all-purpose outfit for evening and day in Stone Town didn't add that much??? However, I rarely take anything on board but a (first-edition Prada) carryon backpack (my personal stuff) and a rolling backpack for the extras.

The bags comes off the carousel when they come off; depending on how long the line at Immigration or Visa, the wait isn't too long. I just prefer not to be bothered... let the airline handle the bags.

Just remembered - did we discuss the need for Yellow Fever inoculations for entry into the Seychelles? Believe we did. So don't forget these.

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Merci. Yes, I've got appointments in Jan. for innoculations etc. May try to move them to Dec. though, as I ponder reinbursments from my insurance co. Our ins. deductable starts at the beginning of the year - the consultation and shots etc. are probably going to amount to 500.pp or so.
Sandi, you do have an amazing memory. My next African trip will be booked with you - no stones left unturned. Appreciate your help.
Sherry
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:58 PM
sandi

Sherry -

Yeh, try to get the medical stuff done before end of year.

I don't wonder sometime if the grey matter isn't in Africa, while the body is in NY... boooo-hooo-hooo!

You're pretty much set, just need to get thee on that plane.

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:20 PM

I have seen security turn people away who have 3 carryons. I take a daypack and a carryon size with no problem but I do not take a purse -- I use one at my destination that can easily be folded and pacoed away. I wear comfortable clothing with pockets to keep all my money, passport etc in. My husband carries the camera equip in camera pack and also a carryon for him. I would not chance 3 items. If they make you check something, then you need to have one of those items ready to be checked.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 06:29 PM

"But no rollie this past trip, couldn't have wheels and hard back, yet the 30" duffle which was also higher and wider didn't seen to fit as much clothing."

Sandi: when you say above that you couldn't have wheels, was it some sort of actual restriction or just for convenience of the trip? Just curious...Thanks
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:17 AM

On the camera side I'd recommend a camera rucksack style bag - my favourite is the Lowepro Mini Trekker (either Classic or AW, I have Classic) which is a fabulous size, protects your gear and is very comfortable to carry. I also have a Micro Trekker 200 which is somewhat smaller but is handy when hubby and I are taking two camera bags instead of one.

I have never tried to take additional large bags along side the Mini Trekker and wouldn't really want to schlep them around the departure lounge etc. with me.

I guess you can choose a duffle that can be locked so that, IF you are made to check it in, it's still secure.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:45 AM
sandi

travellinglts -

The small plans in-country don't have large luggage bins (no 707s, 737s, 757s here), bags are stuffed under the plane... squished, is a better word. Wheels and hard backs make that difficult and can break if the ground crews push too hard. Soft-sided duffle types are best. It's also rare that you ever have to carry your bags once in-country. At your Int'l airports luggage carts available at baggage claim if you have to walk long distance.